• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two Piece Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomberman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Stocks%20with%20band_zpsggfdknu9.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I've seen many stocks that have what appears to be a brass fitting in the stock...usually just in front of the lock area as shown in the top two rifles in the picture. What is the name for that piece and how is it attached to both parts of the stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if there is a "cast in stone" name for the part. Most people call it a spacer. The reason for using one is to use two less expensive shorter pieces of wood to make a stock rather than a longer and much more expensive single piece of wood. Original stocks were almost always made of one long piece of wood. However, sometimes when a forearm got severely damaged and they had to replace it, they glued a replacement forearm on and often with either a "Dutchman" or dowels for more surface area to glue and thus more strength of the glue joint.

Usually these spacers are affixed to one portion of the stock (usually though not always the rear part of the stock) with one or two wood screws through the body of the spacer. The other portion of the stock normally has dowels or threaded rods that go through the spacer and are glued onto the front portion of the stock.

Gus

There were also original rifles made with two piece stocks that were referred to as "take down" stocks. I do not think the modern made rifles followed any kind of imitation to the early pieces. As stated above, strictly a matter of economics.
TakeDownSamuelMorrison_zps67c26b21.jpg
TakeDownKentuckyRifle_zps94527de2.jpg

Awesome responses guys...I really appreciate it. I'm in the middle of building a .32 cal and have a beautiful piece of American Walnut but it's not quite long enough for a full stock but there is enough if I join the forearm in this manner. Thanks again!

The spacer it seems to me is essentially there to say "hey, I used two pieces of wood to make the stock -- I can't make it look like I didn't (which is more obvious the worse I am as a builder and the less similar the pieces are) SO I'm going to stick this line across the two pieces in full disclosure so you won't embarrass me later."

It's just not necessary.

Hi Joel,
That is a very well done joint, easily as nicely made as anything on "take down" English fowling guns. I wonder if it was cased? I cannot imagine why makers would include a take-down feature unless it was to fit the gun into a case. Do you know of any original longrifle cases?

dave

Hi Dave, I have never run across any original cases for American long rifles. I do agree that this take down feature would highly warrant such a case. There is a "storage box" pictured in the book "Steel Canvas" by Wilson. It holds several full length longrifles and has been reproduced in recent times. I saw a repro case made by Mark Silver at the 2010 CLA show in Lexington KY.

On the historical takedowns the feature also allowed the majority of the thinner forestock to remain protected around the barrel when it was removed for cleaning. Used in conjunction with keys and a hooked breech the barrel could be dunked breech end into a bucket for cleaning.
I agree the modern spacer is just to economize on wood and labor.

Hi Capt.Jas.,
That likely is a good explanation for the feature. It makes a lot of sense regardless if a case is involved or not. I learn something everyday. Thanks!

dave

I must say, that is a beautiful repair job. Fine craftsmanship! Well done, indeed. :thumbsup:

Here is a rifle by Charles Baum with a two-piece stock. I've blown the pictures up in an effort to see any indication of a hooked breech, but found none I can recognize. The idea that the joint exists either for take-down storage/shipment or for cleaning seems to hinge on a hooked breech, to me.

Spence

Spence, the rifle that I pictured is by Samuel Morrison and is clearly made with a hooked patent breech. Unknown with your Baum rifle, but it could be as a much more detailed picture of the breech area is needed to determine. As for the comment on a fine looking repair?? I believe the rifle was originally made with the brass plated two piece stock.

Latest posts

Back