• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TX pigs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hogs down here are fairly predictable in the hot weather. Go to water and that's where they'll be. Low creek banks, marshy lake shores and especially swamps.
They also seem to travel extensively so they might tear up your backyard one night but keep traveling their circuit so that it might be next month before you see them again.
If there's a feeder, they hang around it longer.

yes sir great advice. my favorite months to hunt them are when its hot and all the green stuff is gone, I set up long a creek and keep a feeder going or hand corn, I hunt them at night using texas boars feeder lights ive killed hundreds of hogs this way. march and april are tough months to hunt late December and January febuary are great months to hunt as well

Patocazador said:
The hogs down here are fairly predictable in the hot weather. Go to water and that's where they'll be. Low creek banks, marshy lake shores and especially swamps.

Yea my setup was 200 yds from the river, 75 yards from a standing pool in a dry creek and within sight of two poles that the hogs were scratching on after getting muddy (poles had mud & hair caked all around them and a donut worn around them there the hogs walked around and around scratching.

And then it rained and rained :(

2 years ago, we had 5 1/2 days of rain out of 7, at our ranch across the river from you, Sean.

I just returned from this years hunt, and it only rained one night. The rain from your week made the hunting better for us. We were able to spot and stalk easier.

The ranch is traditional archery only, but he had a 150 acre area that he didn't normally allow to be hunted, that he let me hunt with my .54 flintlock longrifle. I gave it a good effort, as I wanted to write an article for Muzzleblasts, but just couldn't find any pigs there.

I finally went back to the archery area and lucked into a nice boar on Thursday afternoon. I killed another smaller, better eating size boar on Friday, but found that the larger, well over 200# boar, was just fine for eating. I got a large cooler of boneless meat from the big boar.

Our group of 5 killed 5 total with our longbows. Here is my big boar. wish he could have been a flintlock kill!

Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

I have to thank you for the advice that got my group onto these hunting grounds. :hatsoff:

It is fantastic you were able to get TWO bow kills! I would consider it a good day if I could slip through that brush with bow and quiver without you being able to hear me across the river :haha:

That one cactus with the almost two inch thorns the ones that are ivory and then brown at the tip. The hogs love to be deep in those. I tracked a few fresh after the rain right into groves of them. Gosh just the slightest touch and those things sink half way into you.

I really think had the rain not persisted we would have done better, I also think we are too dependent on our night hunting. Next year I will split my time more evenly.

It looks like we moved up one slot, so instead of being the 3rd group of hog hunters after deer season, we will be the 2nd. Maybe next year we can compare notes on how each of us killed our TX. Hog with a M/L :wink:

YouTube has gotten rid of it's internal editor :( so Until I find an external one I can't do much with my videos as far as like making these short clips one video. I tried to tape a lot but in the rain most of the videos would not focus :confused: Here are the few where they did.

This was the 1st day, we were allowed on the property at 11 AM I think. The sun was still out, it was hot, I was looking for sign. I followed a big boar track that was maybe two days old, and got distracted. :)

[youtube]NQPUAWYl_OM[/youtube]

A break in the rain. I had been sitting there a few hours in rain and wind. It might not look cold but :shake:

[youtube]YEQQ4AhKCcE[/youtube]

After 3 nights out in the rain I broke down went into town and bought a blind.

[youtube]8dkmJj7NiVE[/youtube]

Back