• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

type "G" trade gun info needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razorbritches

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK guys I have decided to build a type "G" trade gun/carolina gun but real information is kinda hard to come by I have already seen the BUMFORD gun pictures but would like to see as many different guns of this type as possible whether in books or museums I want to build it as closely as possible to the originals

Contact Ben Coogle. He is one of the foremost experts on the Type G, and offer kits in various stages of completion. His parts are taken directly from excavated relic parts. The locks are from TRS. He can give you all the info and details you want.

Most of these guns seem to exist as archaeological finds! :grin:

I don't have any digital pictures, but if you get the book "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" by George C. Neumann, you will find four guns that might be termed "Carolina guns", along with some other British trade guns and a lot of other neat stuff!

Michael Seidelman is also a good maker of Carolina guns. He's a strong researcher. The key to a good Carolina gun is getting a barrel with the right taper and profile which results in a very (almost ridiculously) light gun.

guys i intend to profile the barrel myself, build the stock from a plank, file the screws, thread the bolts, forge the nails etc, etc in short the lock is the only finished part i intend to buy. I enjoy the whole process so much I don't intend to use any more stock parts than necessary

Back