• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1851 revolver questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave63

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A co-worker gave me this revolver to check out and buy if I want it. The frame looks to be very tight and the gun is in good condition. What worries me is that when the hameer is cocked, the cylinder chamber doesn't line up with the barrel, and it doesn't lock in place. Doesn't seem right to me. Seems like the round could go off while not perfectly lined up and give you a hand and face full of metal.

I don't know the first thing about revolvers. Is this something that sounds familiar to anybody. Worn part? Incorrect assembly? Junk gun?

Thanks,
Dave

dave from indy:
is the revolver @ full cock or half cock, at half cock the
cylinder will turn freely for loading, but at full cock it should be linned with nipple. if indeed at full cock and still misalined have a good gun smith check it out before using or buying.

good luck! :)

G'day Dave,

If the gun is not timing then pull the gun apart and have a look at the hand. The Ubeauty has a relatively poorly made hand and spring. This is the most likely problem. The other one almost as likely is the trigger and cylinder lock spring. Just remove the trigger guard (1 screw) and have a look at the leaf spring. I have been getting replacements from DGW and frankly the spring they supply makes a major difference to the trigger.

Cheers from down under.
Aussie Bob

The other one almost as likely is the trigger and cylinder lock spring. Just remove the trigger guard (1 screw) and have a look at the leaf spring.

You had it nailed Bob. The spring didn't seem to be applying much pressure. I took the thing out and tried to flex it a little, and it just broke in two. I just need to find a replacement and I think it'll be okay.

Thanks to all.

Dave

They do that. They get weak just before they break. It looks like the current uberti springs are much better than they were in past years- at least it is much easier to find replacements.

G'day Dave,

I suggest you order a replacement spring from DGW. You may need to touch up the sides to fit - some fit without a lick of the stone and others don't. I found the trigger was much better on the two guns I have fitted with their spring. I have ordered a couple more from Cains to see what theirs is like. I like dealing with Cains Outdoor in the USA. BTW check the nipples as well. One brand new Beretta made Ubeauty had nipples too short. The hammer would not even put a mark on the caps. One had nipples so small that the 10s were even too big. The new Beretta model has a non standard thread for their nipples. I say this based on two older Ubeauty Remingtons.

Cheers from down under.
Aussie Bob

Dave,

The best place for parts I've found is VTI replica gun parts.

http://www.vtigunparts.com

They sell parts for Uberti, Pietta and Pedersoli. I bought extra springs, hands and other small parts for my 1851's when I started shooting them in CAS mstches. Of course thanks to Murphy's law so far I haven't needed them, you know how that goes, if you have the spare parts on hand they will not break. At any rate VTI is a great outfit to deal with they seem to have everything in stock and if you use a credit card they ship right away and very quickly.

"Of course thanks to Murphy's law so far I haven't needed them,"

Same here. In the past I seldom got through more than one or two shooting sessions before the trigger/bolt spring broke. Haven't had one let go since VTI and cimarron started stocking the parts. I think they are doing a better job with metallurgy and heat treatment now.

I wholheartedly support the advice to get the spare-parts from VTI. They have everything Uberti, Pietta, and Pedersoli, and they are FAST!

Latest posts

Back