• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

uberti 1873 saa cap&ball convertion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a uberti 1873 saa blackpowder convertion There great revolvers,love it so much i'm going to buy another one.It's a colt copy converted to cap&ball.murf :thumbsup:

I have the Bisley model of the Cattleman in 5 3/4" barrel. Got it from Cabelas on a closeout deal several years ago for $199. Bought it after reading a write-up about it in the Rifleman, which gave it favorable reviews. Believe it or not, I've yet to fire it. Will get it around to it some day when my life gets less hectic. BTW, how do you find it shoots? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Bob

I was curious about those, too. I understand that they were originally developed for cowboy type shooting games in great Britain, where the peasant rabble are not allowed firearms.

It also looks like it would be fairly simple to convert it back to centerfire, too, as long as low pressure loads were used.

It also looks like it would be fairly simple to convert it back to centerfire, too, as long as low pressure loads were used.

Not an easy task to convert to centerfire as the hammer and frame have been machined off-center to negate an easy conversion to centerfire fixed ammo. Aside from a simple hammer swap, it would require advanced machinist skills to recut the frame, which would inevitably weaken it due to the added loss of metal at the hammer nose cut. I like it just the way it is as cap & ball.

I was curious about those, too. I understand that they were originally developed for cowboy type shooting games in great Britain, where the peasant rabble are not allowed firearms.

:what: OK, Mr Smarta** - As an ordinary joe here in UK, I certainly qualify as 'peasant rabble' if that's what you like to call the greater part of the British population. FYI - this is what I have on MY 'non-existent' FAC.

1 x .451 PH Whitworth rifle [very early #].

1 x .577 PH Musketoon [also very early #].

1 x .308Win Krico 650SS countersniping rifle with 8-32x56 Nightforce illuminated-reticle scope [1989].

1 x .308Win Hammerli Swiss National Match target rifle with Centra dioptre sights [1982].

1 x 7x57 Mauser Boer War carbine [1897].

1 x 7x57 Mauser Model B sporter [1912].

1 x 7.5x55 Swiss S-R K11 carbine [1912].

1 x 7.5x55 Swiss S-R Rubin K31 carbine [1946].

1 x .22 Mauser MS350b target rifle [1937] with all number- matching x2.5 Ajack scope and see-through mounts.

1 x .22 Walther DSM [late-1930's].

1 x .22 Walther Model 1 with matching 1926 Voigtlander scope [1926].

1 x .22 Anschutz Model 1410 with x18 2" Unertl target scope [1967].

1 x .22 LH BSA Martini Intl Mk III with x18 2" Unertl target scope [1957].

1 x .22 RH BSA Martini Intl with laminated, thumb-hole custom stock with Anschutz rail and butt unit with Tasco x16 Ultra target scope [looks like a big fat Unertl][1958].

1 x .22 Alexander Martin of Glasgow BSA custom take-down boy's target rifle [1909].

1 x Ruger Old Army stainless in .44cal [1985].

1 x Colt second generation Walker in .44cal [1983].

1 x Ruger Super Redhawk in .357Mag with 12" bull barrel and Burris 2-7 scope [2002].

None of these actually exist, of course, according to you, but since I'm in the middle of cleaning them all right now in preparation for a military service rifle comp tomorrow, they sure do look real to me.

At least eight or nine members of my little gun-club have over 100 or more rifles each - collectors, of course, but they get shot, believe me, so your bold and bald statement can easily be shown to be incorrect.

As I have noted on this forum before, it surely do be a great idea to talk to an actual British shooter before emitting the insulting and denigrating jaw noises - all you have succeeded in doing is to make yourself look a complete plonker, as we say over here in shooting East Anglia. :imo:

Enjoy YOUR shooting, as I do over here, at least times a week at least.

tac :grey:

Evidently tac.......you are not peasant rabble...
are your guns legal? i would not think it a pretty picture if MI6 saw your list....
best regards,
*** WV SCROUNGER ***

No offense intended. It's widely rumored over here that British subjects cannot own firearms. I am happy to be corrected, however rudely. Good shooting!

P.S. I still think that the aristocracy over there consider anyone without a peerage as "peasant rabble".

What's a "Plonker", by the way?

Evidently tac.......you are not peasant rabble...
are your guns legal? i would not think it a pretty picture if MI6 saw your list....
best regards,
*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Dear Mr Scrounger - I don't call myself 'peasant rabble', nor, do I think, would anybody who knew the real situation over here call anybody 'peasant rabble'. In fact, I have never read about the British being called 'peasant rabble', except on this forum, now I think about it.

As for asking if my guns are legal, why yes, they are, hence the reference to the FAC, as we call the Firearms Certificate over here. I am hardly likely to go on to a public forum and list illegal weapons, don't you think?

MI6 are more than welcome to view my list - a matter of record, and to examine the document as well as the weapons on it, any time.

:imo: It is the possible 1/2 million or more ILLEGAL weapons, inclding many types of modern sub-machine guns, that they would be more likely to investigate, than my pathetic little collection of has-beens.

No offense intended. It's widely rumored over here that British subjects cannot own firearms. I am happy to be corrected, however rudely. Good shooting!

P.S. I still think that the aristocracy over there consider anyone without a peerage as "peasant rabble".

What's a "Plonker", by the way?

Dear Mr Scattershot - in case you were wondering, yes, I was offended, since around 10,000 or more of the ordinary joes you so blithely refer to as 'peasant rabble' are serving as soldiers beside YOUR volunteer citizen army in Iraq. Just like I once did.

You will note that the 'rudeness' you mention is a simple reaction to being insulted by you in the first place, and I respectfully suggest that you continue this element of the conversation on the private message board, should you wish to do so, and where our fellow posters will not be embarrassed by what could well turn out to be a very frank interchange of viewpoints.

Rumours, false or otherwise, concerning the application of our admittedly draconian gun laws, can easily be scotched by applying a few minutes to research - as I noted, all you have to do is to contact a British shooter like Squire Robin, David Minshall, or even, if you could bear to lower yourself to talk to rabble, me, and ask.

BTW - Would I be correct in assuming [always a dangerous thing to do, I know, but I have your example to go by], that you have first-hand knowledge of a member of the British aristocracy referring to the rest of us, at least those without a peerage, as 'peasant rabble'? If so, please provide the reference.

As to what a 'plonker' is, the term is used by David Jason in his persona as 'Dell Boy' in the TV-series 'Only fools and horses'. I will say no more than that.

Good shooting, to you, too. :winking:

Yep....nice discussion
& and I hope we can all calm down now and act like adults.
I have never been referred to as a peasant either...
is that somthing like a pheasant? I like grouse much better, or is that spelled "grouch?" :eek:ff:
~~~ nuf said~~~

*** WV SCROUNGER ****

Anyways.....where might one purchase one of these uberti 1873 saa cap&ball convertions? I can't seem to find them in the usual places. :thanks:

Midway USA has the pistols and the conversions. Nice looking piece, but if you load with powder and ball, you have to have a separate loader.

Dear All - :eek:ff:

Mr 3 stinky dogs has taken the trouble to ask me about hunting in the UK. My response is to be found on the non-muzzle-loading discussions.

Best wishes to all.

Back