• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Leech and Rigdon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if anyone has an original Confederate gun, take it to get measured by a laser spectrometer. The only issue is that the laser burns off a few picograms of material for analysis.

Norinco said:
So if anyone has an original Confederate gun, take it to get measured by a laser spectrometer. The only issue is that the laser burns off a few picograms of material for analysis.
I think Zonie's point was...the spectrum of alloys used was pretty wide and the hardness of the brass likely varied just as widely from gun to gun. If you found ten originals, it would likely be apples to oranges comparisons.

I have always liked the Leech & Rigdon design. I have two of the old brass frame Uberti Griswold & Gunnerson's that Navy arms used to import with the dragoon style barrel and no cylinder scene that I have been looking for steel frame's to use to convert into L&R's. Can't find anyone that sells just the frames and VTI didn't even know Uberti made brass framed G&G's and refused to believe it when I told them

From all that's been written and researched on Confederate revolvers, it's been accepted as iron clad fact that all the 'brass' framed revolvers were only done in .36. On another forum, an individual had a brass framed revolver that he got in an estate sale in Va. that was .44. So far, all testing, metalurgical, for age, puts it right in the ballpark for being original. Being that there were no markings on it whatsoever, it has been speculated that it was a one-off prototype. It was a dead-ringer for a Griswold-Gunnison.

Did it have the stepped cylinder?

I've always believed that the South made no .44 brass framed copies.

To the best of my recollection, the cylinder was rebated, in fact that's what caused all the controversy. The Griswold and Gunnison, or Griswold and Greer, Spiller and Burr were genuine. The Schnider and Glassick, at least I think that's what it was called was supposedly built, but, to the best of my knowledge there hasn't been an example brought forth.

From all that's been written and researched on Confederate revolvers, it's been accepted as iron clad fact that all the 'brass' framed revolvers were only done in .36. On another forum, an individual had a brass framed revolver that he got in an estate sale in Va. that was .44. So far, all testing, metalurgical, for age, puts it right in the ballpark for being original. Being that there were no markings on it whatsoever, it has been speculated that it was a one-off prototype. It was a dead-ringer for a Griswold-Gunnison.
I assume this is what you are talking about. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,34266.0.html
It also looks like a Pietta brass frame, round barreled .44 "navy" with the markings filed off.
http://www.outdoorgearandaccessories.com/outdoorstore/index.php?case=product&proddb=4&pid=19929
I've always believed that the South made no .44 brass framed copies.
They didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I see in mjn's link it looks like a modern pistol that has been defarbed and aged.

The texture of the metal surfaces looks like modern grit blasting was done to it. It is much too uniform for something that was done by nature over the course of 150 years.

Also, although the surfaces of the barrel and cylinder are roughened, the screws still have their bluing on them. If they were 150 years old they would be a brown color, not a rich blue color.

At lest that's my opinion. :hmm:

Also, you'll notice, reading the link I posted, that the OP, (steve) was pretty convinced that he had a one in a million, new found original from the start. When he came back and proudly said it was "authentic", that was the last time he posted. At all. He only made 16 posts on the entire forum, and all of them were in that thread (at least under "steve"). Personally, I think he was full of manure. I was in on that conversation. I'm MJN77 on that forum.

Back