• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti pock mark in frame

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just got this Whitneyville from taylor's. didn't find this until I was cleaning up the frame with a toothpick. it was filled so didn't see it until I picked at it. looks like a flaw in exactly the wrong place. it's at 2 o'clock position in the pic.
lp
IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg

just got this Whitneyville from taylor's. didn't find this until I was cleaning up the frame with a toothpick. it was filled so didn't see it until I picked at it. looks like a flaw in exactly the wrong place. it's at 2 o'clock position in the pic.
lpView attachment 347280View attachment 347283
Are you going to send it back? It's a casting inclusion usually found internally when magnafluxed or X-ray-ed. I've only encountered it once in a single shot 45 cal barrel of 4140 alloy. These percussion gun frames are usually made of 8620 alloy.
I doubt it will ever cause trouble mechanically but it sure would bug me if it were mine.

lpView attachment 347280View attachment 347283

Haa!!! Like this one?
20240907_153352.jpg

I'm working on this one right now!!! There's absolutely nothing to worry about. It's a "break through" from machining the hand channel.

No need to "send it back"!!! Lol

Mike

So the frame is cast and then cnc machined?
Yes, they are investment cast (lost wax method in ceramic molds) and then milled/shape'er cut to spec.
Original Colt frames were forged into billets then milled/shaped , soft fit (assembled ), with files, case hardened and final fit with stones and emery cloth.
There is always some amount of warpage when case hardening is employed necessitating the hard final fit.

Last edited:
Yes, they are investment cast (lost wax method in ceramic molds) and them milled/shape'er cut to spec.

No, no need to. It will work just perfect and if it's a conversion, will handle +p loads just fine.

It's not a "casting void", it's a machining "breakthrough".

Mike
No, the pock mark is indicative of a minor casting flaw that was milled into and this one has what looks like a small crack emanating from it.
None of my revolvers have them.
It's not a danger but looks terrible and was possibly the reason it was filled.

No, the pock mark is indicative of a minor casting flaw that was milled into and this one has what looks like a small crack emanating from it.

Filled with what ?!
You actually think they went back and "almost" filled it in ?!

Last edited:

You mean because it doesn't look like this ( as it should) it's "no good"?!
20240907_174942.jpg

This is a Pietta Navy frame.

Mike

Pure BS.

Filled with what ?!
You actually think they went back and "almost" filled it in ?!
It could have just been left over slag, or mill filings filling it but was commenting on what the original post said of it being filled and found when picking at the pock.
The issue to the owner is that it was there in the first place not wither or not it was purposely filled to cover it up.
As to filler type,oh I don't know, perhaps a bit of JB weld and some dark stain.

Last edited:
If they were machined from solid the price would be horrific.
Well they are largely milled/shaped from solid stock but this is an investment casting rather than the original forged billet.
The investment cast allows very precise dimension tolerances negating the need for many milling and shaping operations of the past.
The dimension specs of the internal chimney apparently are a challenge for even investment casting in some instances.

Back