• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ultra-Hi Miroku japan 45 cal sidelock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
I just picked up one of these from a auction, it is in good shape and was wondering if it is a accurate rifle and are they worth the 75 dollars i paid for it? It looks neat ,it is a long rifle and from what i read elsewhere it says it is a tight bore and to use .433 balls. any input will be great

As you may have read, they aren't the greatest thing around but for $75, if the lock and trigger work you can't go wrong.

Back in the 1970's several companies imported muzzleloaders from various places which had small bores. Actually they were .44's but I suppose the importers thought it sounded better to have them stamped ".45".

Your gun might actually be a .45 caliber gun but if you shoot .433 diameter balls in it it will still shoot alright. It just won't be very accurate.

See if you can find some blue and white or red and white pillow ticking at a local sewing store.

Cut the material into 1 1/8" squares.
Lube them with some vegetable oil and use them to patch the balls.

If loading the .433 balls with this material is pretty hard to do (you will need a short starter), your gun is probably a .44.
If the patched balls are a very snug fit but not hard to start it is probably a .45.

Use somewhere around 45-60 grains of black powder or one of the synthetic muzzleloading powders and have fun.

I've had one since the late 70's,the first muzzleloader I actually owned.It killed a lot of deer before I was educated that it was junk.I can't remember it ever not firing.Mine is a 45,shoots plenty accurate with .440 or .445 rb.As to weak construction it was proofed pretty well with the loads we used when young and stupid.It will never see those again,so I guess I,m safe.The biggest problem is the trigger pull is very stiff,might get around to that someday.I would rate it right with the cva Kentucky of which I also have several.

even if it is a bad shooter, i can always hang it on the wall by all my deer heads, thanks to all

You ain't kidding about the trigger pull being rough, i tore it all apart and cleaned and lubed the lock and trigger group, and the nipple is a bear to get out . But i got it out after ruining it.

What size is the nipple on these guns??
where can i get one(it is proberly a weird size, it being made in japan)

I miked the bore and it is a 45 cal for sure. so what size ball is that ?

If I were you I would take my damaged nipple to my local hardware store or auto supply.

They can measure the threads and tell you exactly what you have.

Knowing the thread size you can go to Dixie Gunworks or Track of the Wolf and order your new nipple(s).

One thing to know is one length of nipples are made for revolvers and the other are made for rifles and single shot muzzleloading pistols.
You will want the (longer) rifle type.

I pulled the one out of my CVA Hawkens style rifle and it was the same thread, but the one that came on the gun was longer.

I will take a look at TOW and see what they got, just dont want to pay more for shipping than the part.

Yeah the shipping can get pretty steep. I usually shop around and buy patches and balls and what ever I might need. I ens up spending a hundred dollars but the shipping is a smaller percentage! Geo. T.

stude 283 said:
I've had one since the late 70's,the first muzzleloader I actually owned.It killed a lot of deer before I was educated that it was junk.I can't remember it ever not firing.Mine is a 45,shoots plenty accurate with .440 or .445 rb.As to weak construction it was proofed pretty well with the loads we used when young and stupid.It will never see those again,so I guess I,m safe.The biggest problem is the trigger pull is very stiff,might get around to that someday.I would rate it right with the cva Kentucky of which I also have several.

Ditto sir.
Turning me loose with my .45 Kentucky, knife, bag of rice and a box of matches was good way to not see me for a while. I liked the seventies.

how would a person smooth up a trigger/lock on one of these rifles, it nice rifle but the trigger is a bear to pull. is it like a regular rifle where i can smooth up the pull and make it not so rough, give me your feed back please........

10 point,
The trigger on the ultra high is mounted and pivots on the trigger plate.In order to get the proper leverage it has to pivot higher which involves pinning it thru thru the stock.Probably can't use the original trigger without welding a plate on and reshaping.Best to order a blank trigger from track of the wolf.Also check for any binding in stock of trigger and/or lock and smooth up all pivot and contact points in lock.Not a simple job.A search for trigger problems should help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i will leave it alone and just get use to it. I had it apart and see what you mean about it being at a short angle of pull.

Thanks for the idea about going to the auto store to find out about the thread size. I have a black burner that has an odd ball size, messed up, nipple. I tried three sizes I had in my tackle box but no luck. Now I have no excuses for not shooting it..... :surrender:

I was just looking at this rifle, and realized it has a 4 groove barrel. is this common for these rifles to have this? The rifle shoots real nice after getting use to the trigger.

what would the twist rate be on this rifle?

Put a patch on a cleaning jag, mark the rod at the side when all the way in. Pull up slow and steady, when the mark is half way around, measure the distance from bore to mark. Double that and you have your twist rate. My Miruko is a 1:48 twist, and shoots best with .440 ball and .015 patch, for target I shoot 50 grn 3F Goex black powder.

Back