• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ultrasonic cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot410

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought smokeless was dirty. This black powder is really cruddy. So, I'm thinking about ultrasonic cleaning. Does anyone utilize this method of cleaning? If so, what is the procedure? I use a small ultrasonic tub to clean brass and jewelry occasionally, but I would need a larger tub to clean a long barreled pistol. Is it worth the purchase?

All I can say is that in the history of bp that may never have been tried. Standard cleaning methods have proven adequate without the expense of a set-up like you describe. Therefore, I conclude: No.

Many of us are just using water and soap and cleaning patches.
The fouling is rather easy to clean this way. Only takes me about 15-20 minutes to clean a rifle, and that includes a smoke break, tv watching and goofing off.

shot410 said:
but I would need a larger tub to clean a long barreled pistol. Is it worth the purchase?
Nope,
just bring it into the shower with ya, :wink:

The deal is BP and the sub's are water soluble whereas the smokless isn't.
A little soapy water and drying is all that's needed.

Yep, what Cynthia says, it takes just a few minutes, under 10 or 15 minutes without breaks. :thumbsup:

I’ve tried it and it works well. But I could only clean a revolver with a 5 ½ barrel and when it was done I had to disassemble the entire gun to apply oil because the process cleans everything off including all lubricants down to the metal.

So it was more trouble than it was worth. I can clean a C&B revolver in less than 12 minutes not using the ultrasonic cleaner and I don’t have to disassemble the pistol to do it.

I am assuming you are talking about a long arm, not a cap and ball revolver. I'm not sure how well it would work and it may be less than the old hot soapy water. Black powder residue is corrosive and you need you really scrub- easy with the hot soapy water.
One note- it helps a lot to clean any preservative oil out of the bore before a shooting session. If you leave that oil in the bore the first charge of powder turns it into a tar that is hard to later clean out.

I love it!!! A completely modern method to solve a problem with centuries old solutions that have already been vetted by millions of people!!! :slap:

Enjoy, J.D.

Good day folks, I can confirm the efficacy of the dishwasher method; just remember to remove the grips first. I clean my replica Remington 1858 Army this way a couple of times a year as long as my wife is out :wink:

I can also underscore the warning about ultrasonic cleaning - any ferrous matals that have been ultrasonically cleaned will begin to corrode very quickly; you need to apply a rust inhibiting surface treatment as soon as the USC cylce is complete. I have seen steel machined parts develop surface rust before the end of the shift because this operation was ignored.

Rifleman1776 said:
[A rifle barrel is not my idea of what I want to bring into the shower with me. :shocked2:
Go yer own way, I'll go mine. :wink:
:haha:
Saves time an soap, made a bush attachment for it too, makes a great back scrubber.

Running a cap and ball revolver works fine. :hatsoff: Been doing it with my 1860 Colt replica for 20 years. No rust yet. graybeard

I used to use the dishwasher for a Remington revolver but since you still have to clean the bore and chambers with a patch and jag there is not much benefit to the dishwasher method. I gather you are rather new to black powder and it seems newbies tend to make too much of the cleaning chore, it really is not that difficult nor time consuming. Although there are dozens of so-called "black powder solvents" on the market they mainly just make money for the sellers and don't do anything plain water hasn't been doing for hundreds of years. Just scrub it out with wet patches followed by dry patches followed by an oily patch and it's done.

I do not see the need. Cool water dipped from a nearby creek with a tin cup (bent to make pouring into the muzzle easier) has served me for many years. Why make this more complicated than needed?

CS

I have a small one from H.F. that I use to clean the rifle locks from time to time, but the Bess lock does not fit.

Back