• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ulu knives..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at my workbench with the oilstone and an ulu. I bought this thing in Soldotna over a decade ago. For the most part, it sat as a special memento of that summer trip to the Great Land.

I guess with a lot of time on my hands I thought that it needed sharpening. I took my time and carefully put on a decent edge on the thing

It is what is called a Kuskowim pattern. The handle is attached to the blade with two metal rods, riveted to the upturned shaped blade. It has a 5-6" cutting edge.

I will see, I hope, how well it works on deer. Hopefully I will be able to take some deer for the winter and see how well this old style of cutting implement works on things other than seals and walrus.

Anyone here have any ulu experience?

Since my wife had her teeth cut out, she's usin' the heck outa the one she uses to chop salad fixin's for marinadin'. :v

The wife uses mine for salads and all kind of kitchen work also. It is one of the finest skinning knives I have run across. It's not a butcher knife but will cut your skinning time in half without cutting the hide. Just takes a little time to learn how to use it.
Fox :thumbsup:

bigbore,
I don't know how much of the "Cooking
Channel" you watch but the ulu or something very
similar will show up a lot of times especially
in some forms of Oriental cooking. I have one
but use my chefs knife 90% of the time over the
ulu, but I do use it.
snake-eyes :hmm:

bigbore442001 said:

I use mine constantly. It really works for fileting fish and boning out meat. The hard thing I had to get into my head is, the knife has two sides. If you place the bevel down and move your wrist back and forth it really cuts. It's way different than a knife. We tend to saw using and knife, the ulu works differently. The cutting action works best if your wrist moves and the arm stays stationary. The next time you catch a nice trout, try popping the head off and start at the back bone. Place the bevel down on the dorsal fin and start moving the blade side to side. The meat will just fall off the bone. I flip the fish around and do the same on the other side of the backbone. On a trout, the meat will form one continous piece connected by the belly meat. Cut through the backbone down by the tail and you have a nice chunk of meat. I use this in my smoker for some awesome smoked fish. Very little waste of meat that way too.

The Ulu is an awesome skinning knife too. Again, with the bevel against the hide, I hardly ever nick the hide. It just feels so natural to use this tool.

My only complaint about the Ulu is it's hard to carry. The ulu in my opinion is not a belt knife.

Regards
Loyd

I have one and gave one to my son-in-law. I made sheaths for both of them,to carry on belt. They are a little wider to carry then a straight blade. Wish I knew how to give you a pic. Easy to make a sheath for them, don't take much leather. Made them out off scrap peices. Dilly

bigbore442001 said:

I made an Ooloo once, I super-sized it to a 21 inch blade radius, the handle is sassafras wood...

Don't remember what the steel is, I know its some form of carbon steel, that was all I was told when I was given it for the project...

P3260002.jpg

A larger Image

I've used my Sea Cow Ulu almost daily since I got it from the Yupik craftsman that made it on my first trip to AK in 1969. Like Boar-dilly, I made a simple sheath for mine for hunting trips, and it has a whale rib stand it sits on for the kitchen counter. Good for 1001 uses and a tool everyone should have.

My Grandmother was an Inuit from Baffin Island. The Ooloo (her spelling) was considered a woman's knife. I don't think it had a sheath or was carried on the belt. It was stowed on the sled. They were typically fairly small by today's standards and in my Grandmother's time were made from old crosscut saws.

Many Klatch

Here's mine down below. I never used it much and I think I won it in a shoot one time. It is well made though and very sturdy.
knives2.jpg

I have an Ulu tht my wife got me for Christmas last year. My only complaint is that I'm having a hell of a time making a good sheath for it. It works wonders on just about any cooking chore. Minding and dicing are much easier because you can just rock the blade back and forth. I have yet to try it skinning, but a thousand generations of inuit hunters can't be wrong...

My AK experience was that the Ulu is primarily a women's food prep knife, used mainly on fish. I saw them used in fish camp on salmon, and I've seen Inupiak use them on whale meat. But I'm not an Anthropologist (that would be my Wife), so I Googled it for more info. See[url] http://archnet.asu.edu/archives/lithic/ulu/ulus.html[/url] for the full article

Historic Uses Of The Ulu -
Ulus have been used by historic Inuit and Indian groups across North America. Interpretations of similar prehistoric knives are, to a large degree derived by analogy from the way in which ulus have been used by these groups. Several ethnographic examples illustrate how for many Native American groups, the ulu's basic functions was that of a fish knife; this was especially true in regions where people relied heavily on seasonal fish runs. Swan (1870) described the use of a Halibut chopper by the Makah of the Northwest Coast. This ulu-like knife was used to slice fish in preparation for drying. The Ingalik of interior Alaska also used the ulu for this purpose (Osgood 1940). Tlingit women used a similar crescent knife to slit and clean salmon (Krause 1956).

The ulus were not reserved exclusively for cleaning and preparing fish. Birket-Smith cited the skill with which Greenland Eskimos and Aleuts butchered seals using ulos (Birket-Smith 1959). More recent, Oakes has described the present day use of moon- and triangular-shaped ulus by Inuits in the Artic Bay region to prepare seal skins to make Kamiks (boots) and other items of clothing (Oakes 1987; 1991). These ulus are used for both cutting and scraping operations. The Ingalik used small ulus to perform fine skin work (Osgood 1940). Athabascan Indians in Northern Alaska even used the woman's knife to prepare fish skins to make mukluks (Rooth 1971).

The ulus or woman's knives of the Ingalik consisted of stone blades ground to the desired size and hafted to a wooden handle, the most common form being a semilunar blade glued into a slot made in a wooden handle (Osgood 1940). Osgood noted that a rocking motion was employed with the heel of the blade doing the actual cutting. Although men generally made these knives, they were used almost exclusively by women.

Materials other than slate have also been used to manufacture women's knives. Along the Northwest Coast, large mussel shells were ground to form such knives (Drucker 1955). In fact, Drucker noted that slate was used where it was available, but that by historic times, the shell forms were much more common than those of slate (Drucker 1955; 1965). Among the Cooper Inuit, ulu blades were among tools hammered from native copper (Birket-Smith 1959; Morrison 1992). As new metals became available, some Nootka groups living on the Northwest Coast eventually made iron and steel copies of earlier ground-slate knives (Stewart 1977). Likewise, some Eskimo groups frequently used saw steel to make ulus (Anderson and Eells 1935). Some of these were hafted to ivory or wooden handles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one back in '96 on my first trip to Alaska. I have used it to skin out deer a few times and it worked quite well. I tend to go through knives and picked up a few new ones and put the ulu away. I'll have to get it out and use it again.

Jon

I think there's a law in Alaska that all visitors have to buy an Ulu before they are allowed to leave Alaska. :rotf:
Bill

Back