• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unbelievable...atricle in Outdoor Life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Unbelievable.

November issue of Outdoor Life.

A rare article attempting to describe traditional muzzleloaders entitled "Old School Muzzleloading"...shows a mass produced Cabela's Hawken kit...text & photos talk about the joys of the old ways...

...and unabashedly recommends Hodgdon powder pellets in the sidelock percussion rifle.

Unbelievable.

Run quickly, as fast as you can, away from them! They are invading us! The idiots and mindless drones are comming!!

tThanks to wise oregon hunters inlines are illegal in Oregon. Perhaps this will save new shooters fron inline stuff poisoning.

I think OL slipped a little on that one.

Shame they couldn't control the fall enough to avoid the head injury.

roundball said:
Unbelievable.

November issue of Outdoor Life.

A rare article attempting to describe traditional muzzleloaders entitled "Old School Muzzleloading"...shows a mass produced Cabela's Hawken kit...text & photos talk about the joys of the old ways...

...and unabashedly recommends Hodgdon powder pellets in the sidelock percussion rifle.

Unbelievable.

And that's why I don't read any gun magazines..... :shake:

Ecch...the local fishwrapper here ran an article on MLer hunting the other day and showed a photo of a line of shooters at a range all with (ugh) inlines, labeled "traditional shooting" or the like...Holy Cow!

Mike Brooks said:
And that's why I don't read any gun magazines..... :shake:
Mike,
As you know 99% of the time I
agree with you, but in this case I have to go
another way.
My own thoughts are it is
important to read as much anti as possible. The
pro-gun stuff I already agree with, but in order
to have an educated opinion to discuss, I need
to know both sides.
From what I have read from your post, you read a lot more than most, and you base your opinions on what you have read,both pro & con. IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

the dread wechlo said:
Thanks to wise oregon hunters inlines are illegal in Oregon. Perhaps this will save new shooters fron inline stuff poisoning.

With due respect to my fellow Oregonian, inlines are only illegal during muzzleloader seasons only. You can use those wannabe's during regular seasons. The regulations state:

“Muzzleloader is any single barreled (shotguns may be double barreled) long gun meant to be fired from the shoulder and loaded from the muzzle with an open ignition system and open or peep sights. This definition applies to muzzleloader-only seasons”¦and includes: open ignition in-line percussion; side lock, under-hammer, top-hammer, and mule ear percussion; side lock flintlock and wheelock ignition systems. Matchlock ignition systems are not allowed.”

At least this state has some sense...

Scott

Have you sent a letter to the editor of the magazine? Posting it here does not do anything to help reverse the misinformation.

the dread wechlo said:
tThanks to wise oregon hunters inlines are illegal in Oregon. Perhaps this will save new shooters fron inline stuff poisoning.
Here is a copy/paste from the oregon online hunting regs defining muzzleloader for hunting, ....

Muzzleloader

Scopes (permanent and detachable), fiber optics sights, sights that use artificial light or energy, and sights that enhance, gather, or concentrate natural light are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights.

It is illegal to hunt with jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Round balls and conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter, and cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.

It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season (See definition page 10 or regulations book).

Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

I find this educating as a lot of people I have talked with I think, are going on assumptions!...but watch out for the game cops!

FYI,
Brett

Pork Chop said:
Have you sent a letter to the editor of the magazine? Posting it here does not do anything to help reverse the misinformation.
I've carried the flag enough for the past two weeks, writing 50 state's wildlife departmenmts and a dozen vendors...so I'll leave this one to you...
:grin:

Thanks for the cut and paste. Maybe I missed it but I don't see where all inlines are prohibited. The regs look very similar to what we have in Wa. Like Wa. it is simply called Muzzleloader. No reference to Traditional or Inline. The descriptions limits both to an even playing field.

Edit: I just saw 41's post. That pretty much sums it up. It's similar to the Wa. regs too.

And just to clarify the Oregon regs further, in-lines are LEGAL in the muzzleloader season as your quote from the regs specifically says
This definition applies to muzzleloader-only seasons”¦and includes: open ignition in-line percussion;
, as long as they have an exposed ignition and use a percussion cap.
And yes, those kind of inlines do exist, though they are few and far between.

Modern ML's are leagal in Oregon Ml seasons as long as they have an exposed ignition system and used granulated powder and I belive conicals that are only 1 1/2 in length larger than the width, thus eliminating the really long saboted bullets, this all came about through a poll put out to all ML hunters, the bottom line was to either give up some technology or give up the odds at drawing a tag, even the modern ML guys chose opportunity over technology.

About those mass produced Cabelas Hawkens. For many of us that was the only game in town. Al didn't invent the internet to tell us different yet.

Personally, I would like to see more of these mass produced traditional guns on the store shelves for the average Joe to get involved in this sport. I'm seeing less and less traditional guns on the shelves and more and more of the other guns. The price is right (Cabela's Hawkens) to get one's feet wet and explore this fine pastime. An equal representation on the shelves would be nice.

If anything it often gets them (me in particular) more curious and finally exploring other traditional guns ie. Underhammers, flintlocks and such. :thumbsup: Hopefully they will find forums like this and others and read about all the other fine guns and custom gun makers.

I guess what I'm getting at is mass produced traditional guns can and do have a possitive impact towards ML. Anyways, that's my honest opinion.

Roundball: Sorry to hear your too tired to write some more stuff.

You could save some of the readers of Outdoor Life some grief and make some good dooby points with all of us traditional muzzleloaders if you wrote the Outdoor Life Editor a nice letter.

In it you would thank them for publishing a article about Traditional Muzzleloaders and then point out their error by saying something like:

"I did notice one error in the article. It suggested using pellet style powder in a sidelock style gun.
This is not recommended by most sidelock shooters because it will create mis-fires.
Sidelock guns should be loaded with loose powder only."

Just think of the satisfaction you'll have when your name goes public for all the world to see! :grin:

zonie :)

Zonie said:
Roundball: Sorry to hear your too tired to write some more stuff.

You could save some of the readers of Outdoor Life some grief and make some good dooby points with all of us traditional muzzleloaders if you wrote the Outdoor Life Editor a nice letter.

In it you would thank them for publishing a article about Traditional Muzzleloaders and then point out their error by saying something like:

"I did notice one error in the article. It suggested using pellet style powder in a sidelock style gun.
This is not recommended by most sidelock shooters because it will create mis-fires.
Sidelock guns should be loaded with loose powder only."

Just think of the satisfaction you'll have when your name goes public for all the world to see! :grin:

zonie :)
Since you've already got it all figured out, you write them...

The latest issue of "Traditional Bowhunting" has a good artical about Traditional hunting, well worth the read. I know they're bows and ya'll are talking muzzleloaders but they do talk about how None Traditional equipment is killing the sport.

Latest posts

Back