• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unbelievable...atricle in Outdoor Life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
Unbelievable.

November issue of Outdoor Life.

A rare article attempting to describe traditional muzzleloaders entitled "Old School Muzzleloading"...shows a mass produced Cabela's Hawken kit...text & photos talk about the joys of the old ways...

...and unabashedly recommends Hodgdon powder pellets in the sidelock percussion rifle.

Unbelievable.

I just so happen to have received my final issue (subscription expired) of Outdoor Life today. Don't yell at me, as it was a gift from a female relative who doesn't know which end is the muzzle, but I digress...

What really makes the article so pathetic is that the author asks what could be more satisfying than building your own rifle from a kit, and casting your own lead bullets, BUT then goes down the toilet by remarking "if toting a powder horn doesn't appeal, then charge the muzzleloader with Pyrodex Pellets", (quote is not exact, but close).

I wonder how much Hodgdon paid for that bit of poor advertisement/publicity? It's worth exactly none, 'cause it's going to get some shooters in trouble with misfires and/or flaming (pellets) tracers setting the woods ablaze. FWIW, at least they did use a sidelock, open hammer gun as their example. I'm sure that Cabela's paid for that advert. as well. I can't damn anyone for having a Cabela's gun, as I've got one myself. It was on sale, what can I say? It does shoot nice though, but it's definitely not "old school" to my way of thinking.
(It's gotta have a smoothbore and a "rock-lock" for starters!)

BTW, No I don't intend to renew the sub. to Outdoor Life. Most of the hardware articles tell me nothing new, and I can hear hunting stories from lots of real people that I know. NOTE: I do still appreciate the thought cousin! Just ask me first next time.

Regards, and shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

roundball said:
Pork Chop said:
Have you sent a letter to the editor of the magazine? Posting it here does not do anything to help reverse the misinformation.
I've carried the flag enough for the past two weeks, writing 50 state's wildlife departmenmts and a dozen vendors...so I'll leave this one to you...
:grin:

In case no one has said it to you, THANK YOU for contacting the wildlife departments! I know that took a fair amount of time. If I can lay my hands on the article, I will send the editor a note.

On a similar note, I got my copy of Field & Stream last night. There is an article about how to make typically missed shots on deer. Lots of talk about shooting at 300 yards, through brush and a lot of other stuff that I would never do. If I need to do something as foolhardy as shooting at a "deer" hiding behind a brush pile to make meat, I am going to put the guns in the safe and go to the grocery store for some burger...

"...Lots of talk about shooting at 300 yards..."

That sort of stuff is why I gave up hunting during the Rifle season.
Idiots taking long shots at what might be a real deer on the off chanch that they might hit it made me real nervous.

zonie :(

It must be kind to traditionalists month Field & Stream has a photo of 5 Muzzleloaders ranging from the Traditions Buckhunter to the now discontinued Austin & Halleck. Not any real information in the blurb below. It's more like a caption. Both percussion and rocklocks were represented. :shake:

TN.Frank said:
The latest issue of "Traditional Bowhunting" has a good artical about Traditional hunting, well worth the read. I know they're bows and ya'll are talking muzzleloaders but they do talk about how None Traditional equipment is killing the sport.

I think I've got all but five of T.B.'s issues. Great magazine. Go T.J.Conrads. :hatsoff:

Alas, but I haven't subscribed to Outdoor Life since Jack O'Connor was still occasionally contributing (late 70's). Otherwise I'd send in a letter.

As with most mainstream magazines, I gave up on them as you never heard a "bad" thing about a product, or the fact that almost everything was written as an advertisement.

A few good ones still exist, but the rest of them are just story books. The only reason they are around is in case you run out of TP. :shocked2:

Lots of talk about shooting at 300 yards, through brush and a lot of other stuff that I would never do.

That article is for the Barrett rifle owners. :rotf:

You guys gotta quit reading the advertizing articles and stick to the how to & joke pages.

Bill

Back