• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

under hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker_au

50 Cal.
Reaction score
for those interested there is a .58 cal under hammer for sale at the gun works muzzeloading emporium for $325,seam to remember a post that some one was after one.
bernie :thumbsup:
P-75-951.jpg
[url] http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=2147&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes[/url]#

Last edited by a moderator:
never fails, always shows up when i don't have two nickles to rub together. nice looking rifle. they also had an underhammer custom with six barrels, only 2,700. stuff of dreams! then after further looking, they have half a dozen bench underhammers. a treasure trove of underslappers. nice store.

There you go guy's this chance does'nt come around too often!
Most H&A underhammer rifles were in .36 and .45 cal., this is the first .58 I have seen with " Numrich Arms West Hurley N.Y. stamped on the barrel.
That will make a good hunter, and needless to say a good bench rifle as well.
If I did'nt already have three UH rifles I'd have my name on it.
Best Regards
Old Ford

I could send you my single nickle, then you might buy a tin cup and borrow sunglasses, and be on your way to that underhammer. I have to get my self together and stock my new underhammer flint . bob

i see your nickle and raise ya two.... too late though, as of 4:00pm today its gone. :(

walruskid1 i see by the face its not yours,
i thought of you when i posted it.sure wish you could get them here in oz,never seen one here.
bernie :thumbsup:

no, its not mine. they call that model the "deer stalker". they were about 99.00 new back in the late 70's early 80's. it would have been a nice addition to the family.

This was just sent to me by Dale Woody of gunfancy . underhammer
I'm working on a few but they get sold faster than I can put them together. I would like to keep a few around but sometimes the money is needed more than another rifle.

Hey John, that's a beautiful site. I'm still going to send you that spare hammer and trigger. After seeing the link you posted I'm now leaning towards a solid brass action. We'll have to talk!

GMWW, I have a small caliber fast twist barrel I was thinking of making a brass frame for. I need to finish the other 2 that are in the works, one is sold already. Got a bunch of 86 Winchesters in for barrels and more on the way.

I"ve herd a lot about those underhammer muzzel loader guns being accurate and I bought one in an antique shop about a year ago , it"s a 45 cal the kind sold by numrich arms . For some reason I don"t know why I just never got around to shooting it until this past week I had finaly finnished putting together a cva kentucky rifle from a kit . So when I got ready to try it out I thought it is in 45 caliber also why not grab the under hammer and fire it too .Well I paced out about 50 yards out in the back yard and set up a target , got some goex and some 440 dia balls an some lube an comenced shooting the under hammer first the first hole was about six inches low and about four inches to the right of the bulls eye the next hole was well nowhare so I walked out to the target and was suprised to find the first hole was now a slot about twice as long as it was high . So I could hardly wait to get back up to the truck to reload for a third shot , when I did shoot the third shot was about an inch and a half from the first two not a bad group in my book I can't believe it took me so long to shoot that rifle it's a keeper now . The cva didn't shoot to bad either in fact they both have become my best shooters of the group . The cva came as a set a rifle and a kentucky pistol from a frend he bought them about 30 years ago but never found time to put them together so he gave them to me it has taken me this long to put them together in fact the pistol still isn't finnished yet I just need to shorten a couple of screws and assemble it and it will be done . I hope it shoots half as good as the rifle .

Dont know why but numrich arms called for a .433 ball in 45's, I had a 48" long barrel (org) that would shoot under 3/4" 3 shot at 50 yds all day long, never seen a rifle shoot like that one, a member that got it may want to tell ya how its shooting now. Fred :hatsoff:

I remember reading here before that numrich barrels on the underhammers had a "tight" barrel. I shoot .433 balls in mine, she likes them!!

Back in the old days, those underhammers came in .45 in rifle, carbine & two target versions. The .58 was called the "Deer Stalker" and was the one designed for hunting big game. They may not be "pretty" but they all shot like blazes!

And the .36, which is actually a .35. :winking:
Anybody know of a source of .340 balls? :hmm:

I thought I read that the use of shotgun buck shot fit those 36ers well.

Back