• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Barrel & etc.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baranjhn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well this is my second post here. I got the blackpowder bug about 2 months ago. I decided on an underhammer because I shoot left handed, but still wanted a traditional gun.

Anyway, I picked up a used 19" H&A improved, .45 buggy rifle by Challenger Rifle company out of Maine, on auctionarms. I like it alot, but I wish it was a .36. I mostly just punch paper, and wouldn't mind a real mild shooter.

So, to the nuts and bolts of my topic, does anyone know where I can get a .36 barrel for it? I see Green Mountain barrels are very reasonable, but I need someone to put sights on it and drill it out for the nipple (hee, hee, I love saying that.....nnnnnnnipple :haha: ). Can anyone recommend someone for the work?

Any help is appreciated.

Oh by the way, I love this underhammer so much, I had to get it a friend. I just won another auction for one on gunbroker. It's a little beat up, but I can do cosmetic stuff. Unfortunately, it's a .45 too.

You can load a .45 down pretty light and make it have nearly no recoil at all. I would try 35-40 grs of 3f powder in it and see how it does.

Yeah,

I was shooting 40 grains today at 25 yards. The groups were ok, but real low. I could file the front sight down a bit, but I'd rather not. She's pretty dead on center with 65 grains, but then I lose the mild shooting.

Send a message to John Taylor. He does all my work here on the Left Coast. We both live in Wa. He is legit. and fair with his prices. The .45 rb is light and pleasant to shoot. However, you can't have too many barrels for an Underhammer. Congrats on the UH!

Viva Underhammers! :grin:

Happy to see that you found a " REAL" gun to shoot!
The front sight is not too difficult to mount yourself, with a hack saw and a three cornered file, with one of the flats ground smooth.
But to get the most out of your Underhammer, you need a peep sight at the rear, and that is the choice that you have to make.
To locate your "NIPPLE" ( There I said it too!) you have to find exactly where the hammer falls.
That can only be found after you mount the barrel.
There must be a machine shop near you, that would be an easy task for them to do.
UNDERHAMMER! Best darn gun ever made!!!
Best Regards
Old Ford

I forgot to mention this on the previous thread.
With a full length barrel, there is not much difference in recoil with .36 cal. and .45 cal..
But the ,45 cal has an edge on breezy days and at 50yds. or better.
BUT the .36 cal. uses almost half ( 1/2) the powder,per shot, and today with the availability, and the cost of powder, that counts

Old Ford

That 19" barrell is the recoil problem a longer barrell will be heavier and absorbe more of the recoil.

If the longer barrel is in good condition you might want to switch it to the other action. The longer barrel and moderate loads would reduce recoil to almost nothing. That would give you time to put together another barrel in whatever caliber you want.
Mark :)

thoughts on recoil. After testing many designs of muzzle brakes and finding out what works and don't work and testing recoil on different barrel length this is what I came up with. Short barrels recoil more do the the gas pressure being higher when the bullet leaves the muzzle. The added weight of a longer barrel will help tame the recoil also but if both a short and a long barrel are the same weight the short barrel will have more recoil.

The reason I'd really like a .36 is the economy. Less powder, less lead. The .45 isn't abusive, I just have a thing for smaller caliber rifles. I'd like to go to a .32, but I hear the are sensitive. Since, I'm new to black powder, I think the .36 is the way to go. Eventually, after I get a .32, I'd like to move in to something a little smaller than that. All in good time.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've already e-mailed Mr. Taylor about a new barrel. I'll probably get one out to you in a month or so, funds permitting.

Heck if you want small ask John if can fix you up one of his spare barrels laying around. He might have something small already that he could rifle. Might be interesting to use some buckshot as a cheap way to go. :hatsoff:

Back