• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer nipple location

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripshod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of building an underhammer rifle and I would like to know how close to the breech plug that the nipple hole should be drilled?Also should the hole be drilled at an angle to compensate for the hammer angle?

You need to fit things up since the hammers could be different lengths. Did you buy the lock from Deer Creek? If so I can measure mine and let you know. At any rate, just dry fit the pieces together and allow for the swing of the hammer. First time I did it I was off a bit because I did not realize the hammer would make contact with the nipple 3/4 inch above the barrel. I had to add a washer between the breech plug and barrel in order to move the hammer back.

The action is a Deer Creek and the barrel that I am going to use is a 1.125 across the flats.It seems to me that the barrel diameter could affect the hammer line-up.

Yes, the width of the barrel will effect the angle the hammer strikes the nipple. John Taylor had this little insert he places in the hammer cavity. He then lets the hammer strike the barrel leaving an indent. With the thicker barrels he's drilled the nipple hole at a very slight angle so the hammer strikes square.

Send him an email or PT and see if he will give you some advice more detailed than what I gave. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses guys.I have looked through the archive posts on this site and I have read all of John Taylor's posts and they have been very informative.

A refresher course
markingbarrelfornipple.jpg

nippleangle.jpg

P1010001.jpg

Latest posts

Back