• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Target Rifle: Ken Bresien action with Ron Long .502 Barrel with false muzzle. I would like some advice regarding loading and equipment.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bench gun shooting was my thing in the early 1980's. Shot in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas ( loved the matches in Berryville Ark. and the ones in Brady Texas. Had several Bresiens- great guns. For what it's worth, my favorite was Fat Alice - a 63 pound H&H barreled .577 gun. I shot .595 balls with .020 Web Terry Teflon patching. Oversize worked well. Was not aware that Ron made barrels but I bet it is a good one. Certainly clean between shots. Build a good bench. I used chains to tie it down to the ground. Wing flags every 10-15 yards. Helpful hint - I learned a lot from books about Harry Pope. In teh picture below is an early style starter. I used a drop tube for putting powder in the barrel so nothing would stick to the sides. Before a match, at home, I would weight every ball and group them to use that weekend. A little thing at the bench can throw you out of the X at 100 - why take the chance. I often went overboard with things such as ramrods. Always stainless steel, one had a stop block so the ball stopped short of the powder by just a little. One had a pressure gage built in. No patch knife - razor blades. Most over the top. A razor blade clamped to a protected spot on the bench. Lightly scrape my trigger finger over it. Best of luck and have fun. Get hooked up with the Texas Muzzleloading Rifle Association in Brady. Good folks
Kia Ora. That is a fantastic rifle. & some sound information for shooting.
Have a great day.
Kind regards
Nga mihi
Pukatea boy

Back