• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unethical Hunters???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to agree about trespassers and unethical slobs. I have had written permission to hunt the hill above the campground where my trailer is for the last 38 years. My family was one of the original campers, and my father and myself did a lot of work to establish and expand the campground. Because of the actions of a few campers that don't have permission to hunt the land, and the damage they cause, I was told by the owner, on the 2nd day of deer season, that nobody can hunt now. Even though he knows that I am not the problem, he feels that he can't show favoritism, and he doesn't want the headaches of people complaining,"how come he can hunt but I can't". How I long for the old days of hunting with my father, and when people had respect for each other and each others property. Apologize if it sounds like I'm crying in my beer, it's pretty depressing to me, but thanks for giving the space to get it off of my chest. I'm sure there are others on this forum who have been through similar situations and can relate. Thanks for listening.

Your camp ground owner need to man up. You did a pile of work over a number of years for him in exchange for the right to hunt the land. He should have no trouble explaining that to other people who ask for permission.

Dean2 said:
Your camp ground owner need to man up. You did a pile of work over a number of years for him in exchange for the right to hunt the land. He should have no trouble explaining that to other people who ask for permission.

When you are the "LANDOWNER", you do not need to "man up" to anyone.

Years ago, a very close friend of my Father was invited to hunt on the ranch. I heard him shoot and the bullet hit the deer. When checking with him he stated he had missed the deer.

I talked with my Father and told him that something was not correct.

We went back and his friend said the deer was on the east end of field when shot and I found it on the west end of the field, gutted and laying over a log to cool off.

The end of a long friendship.

Just out of curiosity, why did the guy lie? He had permission to hunt, what was he trying to hide?

Some people :youcrazy:

A friend of mine invited me to hunt on his wife's land (we had her permission) and even though I didn't shoot a deer, I sent HER a thank you card. Just good manners.

Snakebite said:
Just out of curiosity, why did the guy lie? He had permission to hunt, what was he trying to hide?

The posted and "framed" ranch rules in the house was for bucks 5 points or better, the buck was a spike.

He busted the rule and hid the deer.

My 2 sons were removed from hunting for failure to follow ranch rules as well.

Their Grandmother removed them for failure to follow posted rules.

Richard Eames said:
Dean2 said:

When you are the "LANDOWNER", you do not need to "man up" to anyone.

Years ago, a very close friend of my Father was invited to hunt on the ranch. I heard him shoot and the bullet hit the deer. When checking with him he stated he had missed the deer.

I talked with my Father and told him that something was not correct.

We went back and his friend said the deer was on the east end of field when shot and I found it on the west end of the field, gutted and laying over a log to cool off.

The end of a long friendship.

I respectfully disagree. I own a large amount of hunting land and it takes a great deal of work to keep that many acres planted, trails cleared, blinds maintained and general maintenance. If someone gives me their labour to work my land, fix fence, plant, clear trails etc I have no trouble telling others why they can't have permission and the other guy does.

I can see both sides of this. for example, if the work was done this year, in exchange for hunting access for this year, then I fully agree that the owner needs to allow access. However, if I was to do some work for you this year in exchange for hunting access this year, I can't expect to continue getting access and not doing anything in exchange for the next 20 years for example. So to me, the details make a lot of difference, and that is where the details of the agreement come in, which we here weren't told. So, um, it just depends. Having said that, in the case Richard Eames told us about, they would have been off my land in the blink of an eye too. If I can't trust their word, there is no way I am going to allow them on my land and near my loved ones and my home with a weapon.

Back