• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Updated range report - problem fixed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife gave me an old cotton flannel sheet to cut up for cleaning patches---worked fine. As Paul has pointed out, just a little water, even without detergent, used at the range, will make home cleanup much easier and less fragrant. I do all my cleaning at the range with water, alcohol, and ballistol. I just view it as part of the shooting day---but my range is convenient to do so, and my eccentricities have become tolerated. YMMV. Good smoke, Ron in FL

Zonie said:
richl
I can only tell you what happened to me when I used 12 guage patches to clean my .50 and .54 cal rifles.

I was using them with the typical brass cleaning jag and they had a bad habit of bunching up above the jag when I tried to withdraw the jag/cleaning rod.

This caused the jag/rod to jam in place and the only way I found to withdraw it was to push it back down a bit and then try again.
Sometimes it would take several attempts to get the rod back out.

After this I switched to the .45 Pistol cleaning patches and since doing this I've never had another problem with the rod getting stuck in the bore.

I had much the same experience. Now I use cleaning patches that are pretty minimum- they only stick up above the jag a little. No more problems with stuck rods, even with dry patches.

I am more particular than most folks about patch material, though. I want a tight fit in the bore. That, in combo with the slower movements Zonie describes, does a great job of bore cleaning- whether during shooting sessions at the range or thorough cleaning at home. T-shirt material is so thin and compressible that I have to double it in all my guns. Heavy flannel does fine in a single layer, but the thin stuff needs 2 layers, too.

Back