• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UPS Rifle Shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayfeld

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, Guys-
Here's the UPS firearms shipping policy, straight from the horse's mouth. Looks like we're well-covered under the "Antique Firearms" section, although I have found out that to storefront UPS stations, a firearm is a firearm and they won't take them!

Clay
San Jose

Thank you for your inquiry. The following list explains who can send
and
receive shipments of handguns or firearms through UPS:

Shipper
-Licensed Collectors

Consignee
-Licensed Collectors
-Licensed Gun dealer
-Gun Manufacturer (as a result of repair or adjustment only)
-Law Enforcement Agency (not a police officer at home)

Clarification: A police officer may be licensed to carry a handgun, but
is usually not a licensed dealer.

Shipper
-Gun Manufacturer

Consignee
-Gun Manufacturer
-Licensed Gun Dealer
-Licensed Collector
-Individual (as a result of repair or adjustment only)

Shipper
- Licensed Gun Dealer

Consignee
- Licensed Gun dealer
-Licensed Collector
-Gun Manufacturer (as a result of repair or adjustment only)

Shipper
- Individual

Consignee
Gun Manufacturer (for repair or adjustment only) and from a person not
otherwise prohibited by Federal, State or local law to a licensed
importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer for the sole purpose
of repair or customizing.

Please note, the shipment of a firearm from an individual to an
individual
is prohibited in the UPS system.

UPS will only accept handguns for shipment (from and to authorized
legal
parties) via UPS Next Day Air services (Early A.M., Next Day Air, or
Next
Day Air Saver).

Handguns cannot be shipped from the following:

One Time Pickup
On Call Pickup
Letter Centers (drop boxes)
The UPS Store
Internet Shipping
UPS Sonic Air
UPS Authorized Shipping Outlets (ASOs)

This UPS procedure change affects only handguns, not all firearms. As
a
responsible corporate citizen, UPS wants to ensure that handguns are
transported as safely as possible by restricting them to special
handling
methods within the UPS system. We intend to continue serving our
customers who lawfully ship handguns.

Other firearms, including shotguns, rifles, etc. can be shipped by
authorized legal parties via One Time Pickup service or through a UPS
Customer Center.

Firearms will not be accepted for shipment from any UPS Commercial
Counter
and/or Authorized Shipping Outlet.

There cannot be anything written or printed on the package that
indicates
the package contains a handgun or firearm. The shipper cannot pack
ammunition in the same shipping container as the handgun. The shipper
must segregate handgun shipments for the driver. The shipper must
apply
the Adult Signature Required label (21 years of age or older).

Antique Firearms

Antique firearms may be shipped via the UPS system, and are not
required
to be shipped via UPS's Next Day Air service. An antique firearm is a
firearm that was manufactured in or before 1898 or any replica, muzzle-
loading rifle, muzzle-loading shotgun, and muzzle-loading pistol, which
are designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute. An
antique
firearm cannot use fixed ammunition and is not considered a handgun for
the purposes of determining the method the antique firearm may be
shipped.

We hope this information is helpful.
Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

Pat Rains
UPS Customer Service

You'll find that every UPS store is different. I have my C&R FFL and some will ship rifles but not pistols. Some won't ship either. Some will ship ammunition, some won't. It's a PITA!
If you want to avoid the trouble, go directly to a UPS shipping hub and not a "UPS Store".

:v I always use FedEx---and have not had a problem with them to this day. UPS will always get the story that it's going for repair & warrantee service. Once again living in the Vampire State, which is definitely not friendly towards guns in general---I haven't had any problems with the shipment of Pistols, Rifles etc.---the 105 Howitzer raised some eye lids however :rotf: :hatsoff:

I have found that in the NC ( Raleigh ) the UPS stores will not uniformerly take firearms - most will not - even if they are muzzleloaders. I now have UPS come to my home for pickups. I have shipped antique and high value contemporary longrifles without any problem. The shipper will inspect your packaging if the gun is insured for more than $1000. The limit of a single shipment is $5000 insured value - so you roll the dice sometimes. The shipper will sign for the package after inspection and give a copy of the shipping document.

The UPS website is very easy to use to establish shipping cost and allows you to print barcoded shipping labels which also contains the tracking number - which is useful to keep track of the progress the shipment - which can be done online in their webpage.

why not just avoid the UPS hassle and ship through the post office? I've tried using UPS to ship a muzzleloader and they would not take it, tried a local drop off and main term. the post office is much easier for me, no hassle at all. flinch

In the town I live in the PO is a hassle - always a long line. With UPS I just schedule a pickup and it gets done - I do not need to be there based upon an arrangement I have with them. I can get away with this as I live in a very safe area and don't have to worry about thieves. If you work at home the pickup is convenient. They will pickup on Sat. as well.

I have used UPS for more then 35 years in shipping long guns and m/l and never had any problems.I at one time was a dealer and held a FFL lic: but gave it up around the 90's .I have heard from some guy's that I did purchase a m/l from out of state they did have problems trying to ship me the m/l and was refused at the UPS store front,but they also did home pick up and no questions ask.

Yup ... I always go to the UPS shipping hub (on the way to work). No problems so far.

I ship stuff all the time. I hate UPS, and I never use them unless I have no other choice. Look in the back of a UPS truck sometime. No wonder they break stuff. USPS is twice as fast and FedEx doesn't break stuff.

I like Fedex too, nice to get my M-1's delivered right to the door from CMP.

Today, Fedex delivered my black powder from Graf & Sons. BTW, Graf will accept orders from four pounds & up, $20.00 HAZMAT fee, $3.75 handling and insurance, and they pay the shipping. Good prices too, I got the Graf brand BP (made by & same thing as Schuetzen brand) for $9.95 lb.
[url] http://www.grafs.com/index.php[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents worth.

The UPS stores in my area and there's alot of them won't take any type of firearms even though UPS doesn't have a policy on it. Their shipping hubs will take them but they're not near the house.

I called Fed Ex and they wanted the business and told me so. They said just make sure to tell the person there it's a firearm. They also said it has to go to a gunsmith or company not to an individual. Make sure to put insurance on it as everyone there knows what's in the package. I used them many times sending stuff to gunsmiths and never had a problem. I do have to go to a depot but it's not to far from me. The prices were good as well.

I used to use UPS but had an incident with a muzzy a couple years ago. Now I only ship USPS. Never any issues.

I've always shipped USPS most of the time for muzzle loaders. At least my P.O. Branch never asked me any questions except the usual hazardous, flammable, etc. they ask on everything. But USPS doesn't like LONG packages. And a friend alerted me that in the past year or so, USPS has added a flat $15.00 fee in addition to the regular shipping cost for anything that total measurements add up to something like over 40/48 inches. As most of us know, many of our long guns can easily exceed that length. So it may be less expensive to ship by UPS in many cases. And in some cases, the total length may require UPS.
I too have found the UPS "Stores" to be hit or miss. I avoid them and go directly to their shipping hub, with no issues.

Rick

I ship USPS. Never has an issue. Pay a little extra for a longer package. That's expected. Hazardous waste, nuclear weapons? NO and they usually punch the NO buttons for me. Good Guys. :cool:

Latest posts

Back