• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using a pop up blind for muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dog house blind and even during bow season I put orange tape around it. There are a lot of partridge hunters in the area at this time. I also think putting warning ribbons around the area is a good idea. You can use them for yardage markers too. Here in Michigan during firearm deer season you may still use that camo blind, still a good idea to decorate it with orange. Also you must still wear your orange for this season inside the blind. Len

I have one with "shoot through" screen windows. No doubt meant for archery hunters.

I've been wondering what would happen if I shot through the screen with a muzzleloader. Probably go POOF!

I've never hunted out of it but I think I better unzip the windows and shoot through an open hole.

:haha:

HD

But seriously...they ought to make the portable shelters out of blaze orange camo in the first place...wearing HO has never bothered any deer I know of...had them walk within 15 and 20 feet on me sitting on the ground with a full sized HO coat on...I thnk the 100's of different camo patterns now on the market are geared towards hunter purchases, not game taken

That would work great, IMO :thumbsup:

One eve while elk hunting I was too beat to hike and set up near a waterhole. Sat in a bright aluminum lawn chair with green and white webbing wearing my blaze orange vest and hat. Two deer walked right past me. One was a buck that I could have reached out and touched! Just at dark a lone cow elk came in and hung around for about five minutes at about 25 yards and never saw me (I had a bull tag).

Interestingly, my state does not allow camo orange patterns to meet the blaze orange requirement. Can't see that the rule would extend to a blind though.

I think the only time orange would be a problem for a hunter is with turkeys and ducks.

I was told that part of the reasons most states will not agree to blaze orange camo meeting the " standard ", is that the " standard " was set by agreement of a committee from all the states, and the Canadian provinces, as to what color " Blaze orange" actually is. This was for the benefit of outdoor clothing manufacturers so that their products would comply with all the state's laws and all the Canadian Provincial laws and regulations. When "Blaze Orange Camo", came out, the committee could not agree on how much Orange color is needed per square foot, or meter, to satisfy the requirements they previously set. As a result of lack of agreement, Blaze Orange Camo is not allowed as a substitute for solid blaze orange clothing in most states.

There nothing that prevents you from wearing Blaze Orange Camo, however. You just have to wear the solid Blaze orange hat, and vest, in most state over it.

A Blaze orange camo blind would also be legal, as long as you were also wearing the required solid blaze orange vests and hat. Personally, I like to make a ground blind of natural materials, and sit behind it, or inside of the blind wearing my B.O. Vest and hat. I still run some tape around any tree I am near, so that anyone approaching from any direction is alerted that another hunter is present. B.O. is for my own safety, not the safety of other hunters.

This sure reminds me just how old school I really was all my life when hunting. Still, spot and stock was hunting.

To each his own, but...

A pop up blind for primitive hunting is not primitive hunting, even with a traditional muzzleloader anymore than using the blind with a long bow is in my book.

Blinds/tree stands/camo is for the inline/compound/modern firearms crowd who also use feed plots, bait, attractants, decoys, etc and call it big game hunting.

I gave up big game hunting far enough back that how I did it is not associated with how its commonly done by todays "hunters". I'm glad of that.

Just my opinion so go ahead and cast your sticks and stones at me. At least that would get you closer to being a real primitive hunter. :wink:

I bought one for the archery season, and the late flintlock season. Wouldn't think of using it in our (PA) regular gun season. :surrender:

So the traditional hunter has to use a traditional blind ade of wood or leaves or simply take a seat behind a tree.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Walks Alone said:
Just my opinion so go ahead and cast your sticks and stones at me.
Nothing at all wrong with having an opinion...unfortunately too many folks attack the poster instead of simply posting a different opinion.

For my hunting, I've been hunting exclusively with rifed and smoothbore Flintlocks approaching 10 years now...and the ones I use are mass produced rifles with coil springs inside the lock (horrors :grin: ). I also wear modern thinsulate hunting clothes plus gore-tex boots and rain-gear...I do right well with my Flintlock hunting and I'm a happy camper...er, hunter.

I don't happen to use a pop-up blind but have no issue with anyone else using one...like your words..."to each his own"...
:thumbsup:

roundball said:
I don't happen to use a pop-up blind but have no issue with anyone else using one...like your words..."to each his own"...

Same here. I'm a spot and stalk hunter myself, but that doesn't mean you have to do it my way to be "real."

I agree with you W.A. I would also throw in deer drives as a hunting method I don't care for. Last one I went to, with a halfstock in "rifle" season, the rest of the hunting party was so distressed by my inability to provide supressive fire that they insisted I drive instead of sit. I have been a deserter from the Orange Army ever since.

Chances are he's not going hunting in a loin cloth so ya know...get over it. I do agree that still hunting is the best method but thats just something thats not going to happen for me in this life time and really for most people in southern New England doing that can seriously put your life in jeopardy unfortunately.

I plan on using a popup blind this season. In fact I just shot a 8pt. Sunday with a compound from the blind. It was my first bow kill and I am proud that I was able to get one even if it was from a blind. Trust me when the deer is less than 20 yds. and other deer around it aint easy to stay unnoticed even in a blind. I think you should hunt the way you want to as long as it is legal. Good luck to all.

This was not an attack on the poster at all, so if you are reading that into it you missed my intent. This was just my opinion of and disagreement with the equipment and methods used so commonly now days that is called hunting, primitive or otherwise.

I figured the post would get the sticks and stones tossed at it even though stated as my opinion and I added "to each his own". I guessed right.

Pursue game however you see fit folks and defend your equipment and methods all you want... and I'll defend mine.

Walks Alone said:
This was not an attack on the poster at all
Completely agree...I was referencing your closing comments something to the effect of "now let the sticks and stones fly"...was just trying to make the point that all you did was voice an opinion and nobody should be jumping on anybody for posting their opinions

I am not a very good hunter, I fidget too much and if I get too still I fall asleep! I have had some good naps, killed two deer and seen more game
in my blind than I ever did in any other kind of stand. Mt traditional flintlocks are always well outside the blind when they go off so no fireworks. I did blow the front off mine shooting my AR-10 carbine with the muzzle brake! This I don't recommend unless you want a new front door!
No problems with the long rifles and muskets though. :bow:

I really appreciate the replies. I bought a pop up blind that I intend to use behind the home of a friend for deer hunting with the bow and arrow. I know no one will touch it during that time of year.

I have shot one deer in such a manner but wearing a ghillie suit and bow and arrow two years ago. It was a very interesting and exhilarating experience for a hunter.

This season I plan to make two or three ground blinds for archery, shotgun and muzzleloader season.

I will add to the comment and I know Swamp Rat will back me up on my statements. I know stillhunting and stalking are more traditional but due to the development in southern New England it is not practical. Chances are you will push game into someone else. Also with a home made ground blind there is a chance someone else will hunt out of it when you aren' there.

Don't laugh , but I caught someone who hunted out of my treestand last year and shot a doe out of it as well. Needless to say, I was not happy about it. So much for ethics. I will post the story in the non muzzleloading portion of the forum later on for comment when I confronted the man. So there is a good chance someone else will hunt out of a stand that you set up , at least in our part of the world.

bigbore442001 said:
"...there is a good chance someone else will hunt out of a stand that you set up , at least in our part of the world..."

Not limited to your part of the world at all my friend...a cross section of our "fellow hunters" has the same mix of low-life theives, poachers, and inconsiderates as any other segment of our population.

Ironically, what got me to start using natural ground blinds...which as it turns out have been as successful or more so than treestands...was the fact that on one farm I had a Loc-On stand stolen one year, put another up in a slightly different location the next year and had it stolen too.

So I switched to natural ground blinds...turns out they're very productive, much more comfortable, warmer, and safer...sold all 6 remaining Loc-Ons a couple years later and have hunted from ground blinds the last several years (occasionally use one of those little 30" high rollup sections of camo material in front of me)

Back