• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

using a sling on your hunting rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
im having a Jaeger rifle built for me and at first i was sure i wanted sling swivels put on the rifle. i mean having a sling could be really handy should i have to climb a steep hill as it would free up a valuable hand. i could also see it being handy for climbing a tree stand. but now im having some second thoughts. a sling on the rifle would also provide one more thing to snag on dense brush or possibly get in the way when in a hurry to make a shot. the terrain here in WA is both steep and thick.

what are your thoughts on using a sling on a hunting rifle?

-matt

Matt, I lived in Seattle-Tacoma for about 10 years as a kid and Boy Scout, and I know just the terrain you are talking about, although you left out about the stinging nettles and devil's club!
:wink:
I might be misremembering, but don't a lot of the jaegers actually have sling swivels?

Hey Matt-

I well know the kind of terrain you're slogging, and I share your ambivalence about slings. Lots of folks here (me too) are very happy with this slip-on model. Easy and secure to add when needed, but quick to remove and fold into a pocket.

Matt, I'd sling it. to me a Jaeger looks incomplete without sling swivels, or a swivel and a button. Yes they are very handy in freeing up a hand. I never found it to be a hindrance in the thick stuff.
Robby

i think yall might be right, maby im just overthinking it. its true that according to the research ive done, many Jaegers had sling swivels. also seemed like more had em then not.

thanks for setten me strait all. :grin:

-matt

I always bring a removable one. My grandfather never let me use a sling accept while dragging something. He drilled into me. "If your rifle is hanging off your shoulder, Its not in your hands."
That early training turned out useful later in life. Alot of his little lessons did :wink:

I think it should have a sling. I use production guns and they all have sling studs in the stock and barrel pipe.

It really comes in handy when dragging a deer out or times when your walking but not hunting. It is simple to remove and put in a pocket if you want. I wouldn't want a rifle that didn't have one myself.

Shine said:
I always bring a removable one. My grandfather never let me use a sling accept while dragging something. He drilled into me. "If your rifle is hanging off your shoulder, Its not in your hands."
That early training turned out useful later in life. Alot of his little lessons did :wink:

Your Grandfather was one smart cookie, and taught you well....you can't shoot something unless your gun is in your hands! I always carry gun in hand...only sling it if I'm dragging a deer out....as a matter of fact, the sling should be removed from rifle entirely when hunting so it won't get tangled in heavy cover! :v By the way all Jaeger rifles I've seen had slings attached to them....them dang things are mighty heavy! :shocked2:

I like to use a sling for haulin my rifle up into a stand or hanging it on a branch when the ground is snowy or muddy. I will also use it for walking to and from hunting spots in the dark. But it's a pretty tough move to shoot with it hanging on your back. there is also the noise issue so when the serious hunting starts the sling comes off.

I use a sling, it's much safer walking in the dark as well as during the daylight.

As a person gets older, the focus on safety changes. Several years ago I fell and broke 2 ribs while protecting my rifle from possible damage. I did not find my glasses until the next day.

I really don't care what folks say, whether it's PC/HC or not. Broke ribs and broke guns don't care about PC/HC.

Loyalist Dave said:
A jaeger NEEDS a sling. Period.

I agree if it is supposed to be a true Jaeger rifle brought over from the Old Country.

LD

I would also have to add smoothbores (but not wing shooting fowlers) and I have one on mine. IMHO permanent slings have NO place on longrifles; it just ain't right. :grin:

Yep, but those you can remove, can't be seen when you do not wanted them to be seen.

I am a sling guy, my Jaeger has one and i use it for hunting, keeps it out of the way when you need both hands, My Bess and Tradegun also have slings again both are hunting guns. Now on my Transition Rifle i have no sling and have no plans to install one. I think this realy comes down to personel preference, use and style of gun.

flintlock75 said:
I am a sling guy, my Jaeger has one and i use it for hunting, keeps it out of the way when you need both hands, My Bess and Tradegun also have slings again both are hunting guns. Now on my Transition Rifle i have no sling and have no plans to install one. I think this realy comes down to personel preference, use and style of gun.

I agree; jaegers need them. I also have one on my smoothbore.

Back