• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Va rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brdeano

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway's.....I have been doing alot of reading this past couple weeks on various rifles and styles. No matter how many styles I look at I seem to keep liking the looks of the Va style rifles. Such as the one shown here on Jim Chambers site[url] http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles04.htm[/url] My main dilema is that I REALLY want to put one together in .32, I just haven't seen many in that style, with that small of chambering. Is it because that during that period there weren't many chambered that small (.32)? Am I going to be able to find a kit in that style chambered in .32? We have a mzl lding show coming up in about 6 weeks that will have some builders there, I also plan on taking a trip to the living history show as well. That will give me an opportunity to talk face to face and also see and handle a few rifles. I was just wondering as I can't be the first guy to want a Va styled .32..... Thanks in advance, Brad Arnett.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will probably have to build one from a blank. Make or get your self a stock pattern. Myself, I would either go with an "A" weight swamped barrel or the 3/4" octagon from GM. I have a Lancaster .36 in a 42" 13/16 barrel that is just as heavy as my Tennessee with a 42" 15/16" .50. The .32 would be heavier yet.

If you are not comfortable doing your own barrel and ramrod channels, you could find a builder that will do that part for you.

I don't know what having the smaller barrel would do to the lines of the Virgina style but it should just come out to just a slimmer version of the rifle.

You might give Tip Curtis a call at 615-654-4445. He has several styles and barrel sizes that might work for you. You might not realize it but the Virginia rifle was not just one style.There were several makers that did their own thing.
George

I have a similar dilemma.

I really like Jim's Chambers English Sporting Rifle.

Problem is I have big bores out the wazoo.

I Talked to him about doing the Sporting rifle in .32.

Seems like it is not that easy.

Ram rod needs to be smaller, pipes need to be smaller,lock needs to be smaller, side plate and butt plate wouldn't work.

The stock it self cannot be sanded down all over say 3/16th of an inch. There would be issues with the lock panels and the angles on the fore end.

Jim suggested doing some research on a rook rifle.

I have had very limited success on finding good info on a Rook rifle.

I still want to do this English Sporting rifle in 32, but scrounging up the parts on the INTERNET is a real pain..

What I am going to do is drive up and see Tip Curtis. He has the largest supply of parts in the country and feels sure we can gather up parts that would work.

From there send the wood to Fred Miller and have him do the bbl and ram rod hole and lock plates.

Then rasp a little, pray a little, rasp a little....

Will it turn turn out perfect - I doubt it

Will it be make me happy - NO DOUBT

Right now I am looking at my Virginia rifle (.62 "D" weight). This thing is a beast and I don't see any way you could drop a small bbl in this stock and have something you would be happy with.

For a thought you might want to give one of the Alabama guys a holler (Jack Garner, Matt Advance or Jackie Brown) Those folks are all production builders who hand carve their stocks.

One of em might be willing to carve something up that won't break the bank.

I handled a TVM Virginia with a 36" bbl that was kind of sweet. With that in mind a Virgina with 38" Haines "B" bbl would be a sweet heart - Just a thought.

Your project, like mine is a little easier because these guns did not commonly exist, so who is to say if what we build is right or wrong.

Screw the PC police any way.

Good luck and don't get discouraged - build what you want and enjoy !!!!!!!!

Brad Arnett said:
This might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway's.....I have been doing alot of reading this past couple weeks on various rifles and styles. No matter how many styles I look at I seem to keep liking the looks of the Va style rifles. Such as the one shown here on Jim Chambers site[url] http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles04.htm[/url] My main dilema is that I REALLY want to put one together in .32, I just haven't seen many in that style, with that small of chambering. Is it because that during that period there weren't many chambered that small (.32)? Am I going to be able to find a kit in that style chambered in .32? We have a mzl lding show coming up in about 6 weeks that will have some builders there, I also plan on taking a trip to the living history show as well. That will give me an opportunity to talk face to face and also see and handle a few rifles. I was just wondering as I can't be the first guy to want a Va styled .32..... Thanks in advance, Brad Arnett.

Go with a 40. It would be right for an early rifle and will do anything a 32 will with just little more powder (maybe) and lead.
Most consider all early rifles to be 54 and larger, this is not the case. Some surviving rifles in collections in England that date to the Revolution are under 50 caliber. Rifles in America that saw a lot of use were often recut several times and thus a 54 could easily have started out as a 44 or 48 caliber.
Rifles of Colonial America Vol 2 has a South Carolina rifle that is 47 cal and apparently unmodified other than the lock. It is a rifle captured during the Revolution and taken to England as a war trophy. From my reading bore sizes of 42-48 were not uncommon in the early/mid 1770s. 32 would have been impractical for the time except as a boys rifle.
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
It may have been ten years ago, but MUZZLELOADER magazine featured several Virginia rifles, iron mounted on the slick paper centerfold of one of their issues. The work was by a new builder, one rifle featuring a tapered octagon to round barrel in .32 like a trade gun, gorgeous wood and traditional browning, small F/L with custom rounded lockplate, etc. The builder was talented without a doubt and a quality artisan. Perhaps they would search their archives at your request and could send a pictire. I saved that issue for years with lustful thoughts till it went to an unknown patriot friend in Camp Anaconda. Some one here might even have it. Good luck in your search. Wonky

I will have to agree with Mr. Phariss. A .36 or .40 cal..
Never the less, here is an authentic early Va. that would be conducive to a smaller cal.
Al Edge, Old dominion arms. His specialty is early Va. rifles. You might wast to give him a call. 804-448-1119
earlyva.jpg

sniper :v

Wonky, Thanks for that info, and email!!!!

Sitting down and trying to source information is alot of fun in and of itself. I plan on putting one together myself once I end up sourcing all my parts. 2 weeks ago I would never have even thought of putting my own together, but after reading and looking at some gun building tutorials from various guys I think that it's something that I really could do and know I would certainly appreciate the rifle that much more if I build it myself. The help I have gotten, both here and elsewhere, is really amazing. I have to say that the traditional ml crowd sure is a very helpful and friendly bunch of shooters. :bow:

This isn't a project that will be completed any time soon, but I do hope to have it built by the time squirrel season rolls around this fall.

Back