• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Velocity & Energy levels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on the side of big heavy bullets. I like the 410 gr Hornady great plains bullet at 1500 fps for my 50 for Mule deer and elk. My loads I am working with in my 45 are a self made 475 gr whitworth bullet, and my favorite bullet is poured from a Lee 459-405-HB. This bullet weighs 385 to 386 gr, and the powder charge is 90 gr of pyrodex P. While 385 gr is not that big and heavy for a 45 it is a big bullet. I have not had the chance to use this bullet yet on deer, but I have no doubt that it has enough energy for deer or Antelope. It's not legal for elk in Id I wish it were.
Shoot the same bullet slower through a 45-70 and it would be legal for elk.
Ron

Latest posts

Back