• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vendor experiences?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently ordered from both Loyalist Arms and Repairs and Middlesex Village Trading.

Loyalist had great customer service. Friendly communication both pre and post sale. They do not have an ecommerce capability. So they sequence included a pre sale inquiry via email, sending a check (and the check clearing internationally), and international shipping to the US. To comply with customs, they ship the lock separate from stock/barrel. With all of the hoops described, I was very happy with the duration to receipt.

About the same time, I ordered from MVT. MVT does have an ecommerce site, on which I placed a CC order. The online status didn't change for about a week, so I emailed to inquire. I credit them with fast response on two of my emails in sequence. However, my card was charged, I was informed that my item was on back-order, and that this was the way it is, as they post 6-8 weeks processing in their terms and conditions. My order is about to age past the 8 weeks, and I have not received any further communication. I am on the edge of challenging the charge, notifying the FTC, and the MA AG office.

I would appreciate any positive or negative transaction experience members here would care to share about these two vendors. Thanks in advance for you time.

Mine's run about like yours. Finally got what I ordered but they certainly took their time with my money! :idunno:

Wes/Tex said:
Mine's run about like yours. Finally got what I ordered but they certainly took their time with my money! :idunno:

I won't deal with people that way or at least I'll say I'd have to want something pretty bad to do it. Take my money when it's ready to ship but to hold onto it for a couple months, no way.

Would tend to agree, Mooman.

While much of their stock seems to be available elsewhere, they were the only one I found offering a matchlock pistol. I know it is not historically accurate, but wanted to span match, wheel, flint, and percussion in the collection.

It's not in just this sport either. I don't agree with the practice of accepting your money then letting you know it's out of stock and been back-ordered. Usually cancel the order except when it's the only place I can get a particular item. Just recently did this on a specific hen cape for fly tying...had to wait but got it in the end. Have waited out Dixie, TOTW and others. It's just part of the game...Ma Williams used to tell me, "Son just think of it as 'humility training'!" thump-thump-thump(me in the corner knocking my noggin' against the wall!) :wink: :haha:

I have found that the vendors in this sport are better than most this day and age. I have had some shipping cost issues with the vendors that carry modern reloading supply's but not in the MLR arena.

Geo. T.

I was out and out lied to by a pawn shop in Arkansas*. Other than that, problems encountered with muzzleloaders have always been with deceitful individuals as opposed to deceitful people running businesses.

*A Klingon proverb applies.

I stopped buying from DGW more than 30 years ago because of their business practices. One major irritant was the sale of their catalogs. At Friendship they would take advance payment for their next catalog. Then the buyers would wait months for it to arrive. When it did, the cover said not to order from it after a date that had expired a couple months earlier. :cursing: They would change prices and not ship when an order was paid for in advance, in full, according to catalog prices. There's lots more, I'll stop here.
Davis locks. Terrible service. A bad lock, exchanged five times, at my expense. They would even talk about it when I called. Then they "improved" the part that was poorly designed and charged me for the "improved" replacement part. :cursing: :cursing: Never again with them.

New twist. Email today, they received the wrong matchlock from the manufacturer, and that I could have the cheap alternate or wait another two months. Of course, they still have my money...

Well, if the gun you ordered is difficult to obtain or not available from another source,,
then they kinda have ya by the short hairs.

You can still make the claim with the carrier and get your funds back, right?
If you do that, will you be able to get it someplace else or live without it?

Personally I wouldn't have waited this long, but I'm content with more common rifles, :idunno:

Another angle to consider is folks that purchase custom ordered guns from a builder, it's usually cash up front and a 9-12mo wait (or more),,

Fair points all. If there were another source, I would have walked at the first sign of BS. My 'want' is in conflict with my 'don't mess with me'.

This is the way it goes with custom and semi-custom stuff. India made notwithstanding, it ain't McDonald's and these ain't Happy Meals little boys.

Be glad they took your money and have some confidence they're working in your interest -- those two companies do.

One caveat -- if you aren't trading cash for something in your hand be prepared to lose it and that's on you.

PS: I got the US propototype of MVT's matchlock pistol...

I don't know why it's so difficult to make a phone call or to send an email asking if an item is in stock, and if it isn't then don't buy it until it is... even asking them to notify you when it is available. If you don't get a reply then don't buy.

It always amuses me when folks get torqued about a back order when they know an item is imported.
There are several American companies that I don't order from unless the item is in stock, and even a couple rifle builders who I will buy from ONLY IF the rifle is done. No special orders.

I backorder NOTHING.

LD

That condescension is a bit out of line. Even though we are dealing in obsolescent weapons, it is the 21st century. eCommerce sites all over the world display an accurate stock status, which allows the buyer to make an informed decision. It is also SOP to delay charging a credit card until an item is available. While there will be an occasional slip, this method allows for reconciliation before charging the customer.

There is nothing 'so hard' about a phone call or email. The initial post described precisely this for a vendor which did not have an online store. It should not be necessary for any online ordering. This is the point of the automation.

The purpose of the original post was to elicit the experiences of others, so we can all make informed purchasing decisions.

The biggest problem I find with immediately billing your credit card, then backordering an item, is that you lose all leverage. A credit card provides you the ability to dispute charges with a merchant, should the item be incorrect, or if the merchant won't make the transaction right.

After 60 days, your leverage to dispute vanishes with most credit cards, so if you get a bad item, balky service, or nothing in the mail, you have nobody to back you up to get your money back.

Ethical vendors all state up front that your order won't be charged until it ships.

Live and learn ...

Millermpls said:
How about an opinion on the pistol?

LOL Haven't shot the "silly," cool, thing. It's massive (insanely long anyway -- two feet I think -- put a saddle ring on this bad boy and call it a carbine). Three or four fingers fit inside the trigger guard and that's the only way to reach the trigger (though I thought for a second about moving the guard)! Love the blued barrel and pan...

It is what it is and as such, frankly for an India (which I eschew generally) gun, it is rather well done all in all.

Back