• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Venison stew for diner.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a couple of days ago I was diging in my deep freezer to get diner out to thaw and I found a package of venison I forgot was in there from last years harvest. It was labeled stew meat deer with the name of the man who killed it also there.

Well well well what a fortuitous find!

So I thawed it out and set to makeing me a stew today.

1.5 lbs of cubed venison
about 20 baby carrots from the garden
about three small onions yellow from the garden
2 very small onions white from the garden
6 small shallots from the garden
about a 2/3 cup of choped cellery (from the store) :( can't grow it here
about 30 tiny potatos from the garden
3 small tomatos from the garden steamed, then skined and diced
2 quarts of beef stock (not like deer stock is available in the store)
2/3 cup of red wine
spices, salt to taste

I browned off the venison then put the wine in the pan with the meat brought it to a boil for a few minutes then put it in the stew pot with the stock. Then I cut the carrots into bit sized pieces, diced the onions and shallots sauted them all just for a few minutes. Added that to the stew pot. Added everything listed except my pottatos and cooked it for a couple hours. The spuds just went in, so as to keep them from becomeing mush. As soon as the spuds are cooked it will be diner time!

It is siting on the stove as I type driving me up the wall with ravenous hunger from the smells. I didn't get a proper lunch due to being so busy today... :shake:

Can't wait for this pot of stew to finish.

:)

I also found a package of ram sausage in the freezer I had completely forgot about. I am thinking I might try some of it in biscuits and gravey tommorow morning.

I love living out here in the forest across the street from a hunting family.
:grin:

DROOL DROOL, WIPEING MY CHIN ya know how to hurt a guy in a great way girl hahaha, sounds great especially that ram sausage n gravy come mornen. OH YEA Dinners n breakfast to make a richman jealous
:thumbsup: :bow:

Got it down thank you can't wait to try it now if I can just get someone to harvest me a deer.

That sounds wonderful! It was to late for me (9:30 my time) and 95% from the garden! Fresh vegetables from the garden are the best.! :bow:. Do you have any leftovers? I still have some venison left over from last year to! think I'll try your recipe.

Your stew sounds great, made me swear to make one in a few days. I 'enhance' my stews in a way I thought you might be interested in. I mix up some regular Bisquick biscuit dough about a half hour before the stew is finished, drop big spoons of it on top of the stew, cover the pot and simmer briskly for the last 30 minutes. The biscuits both boil and steam, wind up tender, fluffy and dry inside, soaked with stew broth on the bottom. I obviously cooked this one at home in a crockpot, but it works just as well in a cast iron pot over a wood fire, too. If you find yourself in camp with a bunch of sad-eyed bums gathered round the fire, bowl in hand, you can feed a few more of them if you have biscuits. :haha:

Don't forget the pepper, lots of pepper.

venison_stewD.jpg

venison_stewH.jpg

Spence

Thats how I make 'dumplings' when I make chicken soup. It never even crossed my mind to put them in a stew. Good plan!

We just finished diner and it was better the second time around as always. I should learn to cook a soup/stew and set it back for a day or two before I serve it.
The dogs were looking at me so pitifuly over the venison smells in the house I took pity on them and gave them a small ladle full after we ate our fill. The little dog was almost feral to get at it and she never acts that way. The big dog gave me a look that said 'well I guess if you insist it is food I'll eat it'. He ate it but he wasn't as impressed as the little dog was.

I still have a couple bowls worth I froze for later and a small serving that will become my lunch tommorow.

:)

Latest posts

Back