• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent hole location?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to open the pan to more “center” the hole (I would), this is my suggestion:
C8F2BBC5-C996-40E8-A430-748F38ABDEBA.jpeg

I do this to many of my pans. Reasoning: to increase surface area to “catch” the sparks.
6944E8BB-D697-4738-B40C-4747384DAEE4.jpeg

Tell me about this eccentric bush.
I have a gun that the vent is almost 1/16” too high. The Chambers vent hole is partially visible above the pan cover when it is closed. No ignition problems; just looks bad and exposes vent hole to the elements.
Who could do this kind of work?
Is this something Bobby Hoyt could do?
It wouldn't be hard to machine a 'blank' vent plug; then position the vent as 'favourable' as possible then relieve the inside - a lot would depend on the diameter of the plug. I'm in NZ I don't know Bobby Hoyt - but by the number of times his name comes up he sounds capable. But as some have said if it works ok as is, then there's no real problem?

It wouldn't be hard to machine a 'blank' vent plug; then position the vent as 'favourable' as possible then relieve the inside - a lot would depend on the diameter of the plug. I'm in NZ I don't know Bobby Hoyt - but by the number of times his name comes up he sounds capable. But as some have said if it works ok as is, then there's no real problem?
Ignition is great.
Having the upper part of the vent show above the closed pan cover would kill the resale value.
Also I don’t like having the vent opening exposed to the elements.

Back