• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent Pick Storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering where to store my vent pick for easy but safe access as mine is pretty durn sharp. So that being said. Where do all you guys store your vent picks for quick safe access?

Sharp? Why? Not needed ... you're not picking concrete ...

In fact, you're NOT, or shouldn't be, picking anything. I see too many people using vent picks that are picking so durn hard that they end up pushing the main charge powder AWAY from the touch hole, especially on internally coned ones. It doesn't need to be sharp at all, in fact mine aren't, the end is a but a BLUNT tip.

I just put it through the touch hole so that I "touch" (not 'push') powdah - which PROVES the vent is clear - and that's all you're trying to accomplish. Works for me, but with many things ... you're mileage may vary ...

Every BP rifle or musket I own is equipped with one hanging as shown below ... never got a finger stuck.

K2.jpeg

FYI, Kibler Colonial as shown that I built for my best friend ...

Last edited:
I was wondeting where to store my vent pick for easy but safe access as mine is pretty durn sharp. So that being said. Where do all you guys store your vent picks for quick safe access?
Three place I have used for storing a TH pick: 1. Under the bottom of an overhang on a cheek piece. 2. Laying in the bottom of a small belt holster containing shooting issue comonents. 3. Hanging on a pouch strap. (Keep way from face) Personally, I do not like a TH pick sharp, but prefer a rounded tip.
Larry

I've got one of those combo tool sets on a key ring. I keep the thing in a shooting bag. I try to push the pick in the hole each time I load before I shoot. If hunting, I just do it when I load and trust I am not shaking the gun too much to plug up the vent so fire can get to the powder.

(Do I know if that is really the case, that there is a tunnel for the flash? No, but it works for me, so...)

The Doc is out now. :cool:

I stopped using those cool looking but unnecessarily sharp metal vent picks for that reason. If I need one (rarely) I just whittle one from a twig. Works fine, don’t hurt nothing, including my fanger and easy to get. I also don’t use those silly little brushes. A piece of rag works better. Just my .02 cents.

Back