• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safely firing an antique gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stick a piece of rubber tubing on the nipple and blow into it.
Blows through smooth with no resistance. I removed the nipple as well. Threads look clean, no corrosion, and it snugged back up well. The nipple itself appears to be quite new, flat base no tapers.

Here's what I do:
-make sure it's not loaded
-clean it well
-look for structural issues on the outside, including nipple, vent hole lock etc
-run a bore scope down the barrel, inspect barrel and powder chamber
-fire a cap/spark the pan
-fire light loads first, pulling trigger with a string from a safe distance: 10gr, 20 gr, 30gr, 40 gr. Swab barrel and check for issues after each shot
-full powder charge
-projectile with half charge, then again with full charge
-clean up and check for issues again
This is a solid plan of action.

Keyhole is on the money.

You can get them very inexpensively now - The one I have i believe was under $20 from Amazon and works great for bore inspection purposes
That is quite a drop in price, I will have to talk to some I know who are still in the business to get the information. It could be, we are talking about two different kinds of device.

Back