• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Very slow hunting this year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I have been hunting on a forkhorn or better tag this year and have been out every weekend and a few short jaunts in the afternoons during the week, I have seen deer every day but no horns, untill today..the Buck below was in my yard with six does when I got home from hunting today...been thinking about saving the last ball for myself :shocked2:

rut2.jpg

rut.jpg

I kind of know how you feel.. I go hunting 10 miles away from anything and come home and deer are in my back yard laying down sunning, my wife thinks they are cute & precious in our yard, got to love a woman..

If that buck was in my yard he'd be dead.

Well you see officer, it went like this...

I came home from hunting and saw this buck trying to kill my dog...

Since I already had a loaded rifle handy I did the only thing that came to mind to protect old Blue...

:haha:

HD

tg, I feel your pain. :shake:
In the last few weeks, I have seen 4 different 8 pointer white tails and as many smaller bucks cruising around the neighborhood. That's not even counting baldies.
I'm up at 4am everyday and most of the bucks are out in the dark, tripping motion detector lights on surrounding houses.

Here's a hi-rack 8 pointer about a month ago, in velvet ,on the front lawn. Of course I had the camera on the wrong setting. :shake:
IMG_6120.jpg

I was hauling a load of cattle from high pastures back to our place in Colorado last fall. Hunting had been slow and everyone was whining. At 3AM I passed through the neighboring town at a slow idle for the 20mph zone and noticed someone had a terrific new deer statue in their front yard. Except it was motorized---- It's head was turning to follow my noisy path. Nicest muledeer I saw all year, and to my certain knowledge no one got it.

At least he is sowing his seed, he is quite proud of his harem. I just went out and looked him up again he is keeping his ladies company, to dark and thick in the firs to get any pics, I just hope some of his many sons will drift out of town over the next couple of years so I can give them smoothbore flintlock demonstration :grin:

...the Buck below was in my yard with six does when I got home from hunting today...

"Ring, ring"

"Hello. Yeah Bill, that was me shooting. No, just wanted to unload and not take a loaded gun in the house . . . muzzleloader you know. Can't just take the "bullet" out. No. We're OK here. Sorry for the disturbance."

"Honey, yell "Hi" to Bill so he knows I didn't kill you . . ."

"Well, thanks for calling."

Drag, drag, sound of garage door opener, drag, gut, butcher, butcher.

you fellers with deer in the back yard ought to consider puttin' a draw knife to a piece of osage orange or hickory and gittin' an archery tag!

just a traditional thought!

Gene,
the local deer seem bigger this year!
work with a few folks that went out meadow lake road and connected with a rather large bodied 4 point and another applied his tag to a 3x4 that hung at 160 sans hide and guts.
Thats not the norm for that area.

btw, Neal went under

KyFlintlock said:
He wouldn't be safe in my yard. :haha:

Wess

I've been plotting for years. :haha:
Knowing my luck, It'll pile up underneath some kid's swing set. :nono:

Now, if I can only lure one into the basement......

bucktales said:
Now, if I can only lure one into the basement......

:haha:

More than one person in Alaska lured moose into their garages with the idea of filling the freezer. Much to their surprise, moose don't like being shut into a garage.

:rotf:

HD

:haha: Ain't that the way it goes? :haha:

My neighborhood is too far into town for 'em, so they just gather around my vehicle at dark so they can laugh at me while I walk back 1/2 a mile from where I was huntin'.

Back