• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vinegar stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, Here are some pics of my rifle, brewed up some of the stain from a previous post and here are the results...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v345/TrinaF/?multi=5&addtype=

The first few pics she has stain and two coats of oil and there are a couple of the brew at about 9 days... and a few of her in the rough... Ghost thanks for all your help on this.. I love the results :thumbsup:

Blahman, I used about 3 steel wool pads (burned the oil off, you want rust..rusty nails work to but I didnt have any of them) in about 1 quart apple cider vinegar... it set for about 3 weeks.. in a dark cupboard

Is the cider that specific? Can I use just about any type of cider? After you applied it, did it raise the grain any?

Kinda like thinkin' of doin' it so the wood can look sorta aged, not new, but not beat up.....cherry gets that nice brownish-red patina as it ages, I'm just wondering what it would look like.

I wonder if anybody has tried that. It's a "don't know till ya try" idea.

Blahman, I dont know that it matters...its the acid your after...apple cider vinegar is just what I had on hand... use it with my soapmaking... There is a long post several pages back about this stain.... I mixed some up (my chemist side came out lol) thinking I would do some test boards and see what it did, if I didnt care for it I would go another route..but I liked it very much..

[/quote]
Yep, you want the stain to get in cider the wood...
[/quote]
Musketman,
your funny bone must be actin up this mornin huh.. :thumbsup:

Kinda like thinkin' of doin' it so the wood can look sorta aged, not new, but not beat up.....cherry gets that nice brownish-red patina as it ages, I'm just wondering what it would look like.

Sorry for the thread-jack, didn't know where else to put this...
If you want to get that aged-cherry look without the wait you can expose the stock to UV or sunlamps for a few days, but what works best is to ammonia fume it for a short time. Fuming can be dangerous as you need to watch it carefully so it doesn't go too dark too fast.

vic

Simple, stain the barrel channel to test your stock, if you don't like the results, the barrel will hide it...

-or-

Stain under the patch box's hardware, again, the patch box will hide it if'n you don't like the looks...

Cookie, was the stock on your rifle Maple? I have used the vinegar stain on several of the lower end kits which were not maple and they have come out pretty good. What oil finish did you apply, Tru Oil?

Waya

mowolf,
It is plain maple... I am putting boiled linseed oil on it ...its getting prettier with each coat..

cookie
do you stain the whole stock with the Vinegar stain or just the strip you want on it?

I stained the whole thing... just like a regular stain...there is some curl on the stock and that came out... Im going to have to get some pics lol...

We sure would like to see pics of the finish. Do you have pics right before the finish also...
What kind of drying time with the boiled linseed oil? I always thought linseed oil was a slow dryer and not very resistant to moisture as say some other oil combos such as tung based ones.

Erastus,

I have added some more pics pretty much final pics, of the way she looks now.. I a waiting for a mainspring so the lock is not put together...no hammer...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v345/TrinaF/?multi=5&addtype=

If you look down a bit there are some pics down lower that might give you an idea of what it looked like before the finish I wish I had taken pics through the whole process, hindsight is always better I guess... boiled linseed oil is not as waterproof as some of the others(ie: tung oil, tru-oil) so I will be putting a light coat of past wax over it... I dont know about a slow dryer... it seems nice and hard to me.... I put the first coat on and let it set for a bit then rubbed it in... I did this several time until it quit drinking the oil in.... I let it dry 12-24 hours between applying these coats....I am sure there are some fellers on here that could explain this much better than me.. this is my first experience with this....but I dont think it will be my last lol... and DH is very afraid lol can be an expensive hobby :crackup:

I mixed up some of the vinegar stain and just got a drop on the cherry wood that I am making my current rifle out of and it turned black. Might want to do a test on the cherry before trying on your stock. Now my test with fuming the cherry with amonia gave me a great red brown color. Looked super good.

Latest posts

Back