• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vintage brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgregory

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here is a photo that Art Caputo posted on one of my threads of an early Lancaster J. Dickert pattern rifle. The builder was Marvin Kemper.

I am ordering the parts. Ordered the barrel and semi inlet stock. The question is, does anyone know how to make the brass parts look vintage as in the photo? I’m not a fan of shiny brass parts. If there’s not a way I will just order regular iron parts and rust them.

Attachments

• IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    3 MB
On my son's rifle,
Jeffsbuttstock.JPG
we hit it a couple of times with a dirty cleaning patch. The rest was time and oxidation. I'm not a fan of artificially aged brass.

in my opinion I haven't found anything that gives the same color as naturally aged brass. If it is an engraved part I might do a thin wash of brown paint to high lite the engraving then leave it alone. Real brass will quickly tarnish. The rifle I am currently working on the brass has already lost the shine and the rifle isn't even finished yet.

I find old brass just has a look new brass can never duplicate. It develops an amber undertone from age no amount of polishing can remove, unlike artificial methods.

One method that may help dull the newness is to heat the brass with a propane torch, then put in a vinegar-peroxide bath. The heat draws the copper up, and the bath removes the fire scale. (You can remove the scale by hand polishing, but it takes a lot of work.) For subsequent cleaning, just mix a paste of vinegar and flour and rub the brass with it. It will leave tge brass looking older than commercial polishes will.

Latest posts

Back