• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vintage Wood Canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stump Sound

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is sort of in response to part of this thread;[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...8/post/417465/hl/canteen/fromsearch/1/#417465[/url]

I have access to a reproduction wood canteen with sapling straps (kag) made by Mr. William Wigham during the bicentennial. It is as tight and sound today as when it was new. The routine maintenance of this and other 18th century hand-made reproductions is necessary ”¦but if you are like me it’s also fun.

The bung is new. In these images it hasn't expanded to fit yet. The strap is tow and the strap bails are wrought steel.

kag001.jpg

kag002.jpg

Paul B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow,that's a real piece of art. Great job. How many hours of work do you have in it? :hatsoff:

I'm flattered that anyone would think I had the talent to produce such a thing. Thank you but it was made in the late 1970's. It's a testament to quality and craftsmanship, things I see a great deal of around here.

Very nice, but i wouldn't use it. Its to pretty to take out in the feild, but if you do take some Anti-Diarrheal tablets with you, microbes love wood.

I have been using it for a over a year with no adverse affects at all. I stuck a bore light inside and looked around a few months back and there was no sign of mold or mildew.

I store the kag (as my father did before me) filled with distilled water and a drop or two of bleach added. I empty and rinse it well before I fill it to drink from.

Sam Doolin and William Wigham make these things and they recommended the storage procedure I use.

I'm told the white woods are the best

The kag I posted here has white oak staves and straps with white cedar sides. The bung is white pine. I'll contact the cooper that made it to make sure I'm correct.

White pine, white cedar and white oak were used in various combinations but the woods should not be mixed in a single component. All the staves need to be one type and not mixed, both sides should be the same type etc.

I have a new Doolin made Civil War Gardner pattern CS canteen that is white cedar and cherry. It has a pewter spout with a tinned iron collar and wrought steel bands and bails. My brother has one that is all willow. Original Gardners are found in white cedar, white oak, ash, mulberry cypress, willow and cherry and again used in combinations. I'm sure other types were used as well. I'll attach a picture ASAP

Paul B.

Confederate Gardner canteen; cherry with a willow stopper.

wood1.jpg

Compared to the 18th century kag.

wood2.jpg

Paul B.

The dimensions of the CS canteen body are roughly 7” wide X 2 2/3” deep.

The same dimensions for kag body are roughly 7 3/8” X 3 5/8”.

The initials CCB on the kag are attributed to Private Christopher Calvert Beall, 1st Maryland Regiment of Foot. Beall appears on at least one muster at Valley Forge, #MD30037. [url] http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/[/url]

It’s my understanding that original kag is in a private collection in Austria. I’ll try to run the exact location down.

Paul B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back