• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Virginia Muzzleloader deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Luck was with me this season despite the moonlit nights and dry leaves. I saw more bucks than does, but they all seemed a bit scarce. I consulted the solunar tables prior to heading out on the 13th, and it appeared that sometime between 11:00 and 13:30 should be good, so I dressed light and started out around 09:30. I made my way through the mountain laurel thicket that I normally hunt, through the pines, and up onto a finger ridge of bigger timber. I sat on a blowdown poplar log facing west, and the wind seemed to be from the east, so blowing uphill. The ravens were talking, the sun shining, and just a lovely morning. It wasn't long and a couple of spikes were chasing a couple of does through the pines. After a couple of laps the does headed north and things calmed down. I noticed that there were white oaks among the chestnut and red oaks, so seemed like a good place to wait, and particularly since the live bait had just headed north. After about an hour the log I was straddling had gotten uncomfortable, but I saw a head appear from the hollow to the west. Seeing decent antlers, I cocked the hammer and waited as he quartered towards me from above. As he passed below, I raised the rifle and fired. He trotted about 10 yards at the shot and then stopped and looked around. He took a few more steps downhill before dropping to his knees and laying down. At that point I did reload, but he as done by the time I walked the short distance to him.

Everything appeared in proper proportion as he approached, so I was shocked to see how large and heavy he truly was. 19-7/8" inside spread, lots of mass, and 46"+ chest girth. According to the charts, he was 285#+ live weight, and I had no idea that a mountain deer (no farmland nearby) could get that heavy. I'm sure he was old, and likely on the downhill slide, but didn't think to pull a tooth to have him aged.

edit: .605" PRB over 100gr Goex fffg.

cub45 said:
Nice deer, how the heck did you get it out, that's a lot to drag.

I had one antler in each and straddled his nose as I drug him through dry leaves. Luckily, it was downhill about halfway, a bit of flat, and just a slight grade uphill.

That is a magnificent buck. And that fine jaeger rifle is super nice. I have yet to even get a shot at any deer so I'll be shooting anything I see.

hanshi said:
That is a magnificent buck. And that fine jaeger rifle is super nice. I have yet to even get a shot at any deer so I'll be shooting anything I see.

Thank you. The rifle was made for hunting, so short in barrel and large in caliber. 28-1/2" Colerain .62, Chambers early Germanic lock, White Lightnin' liner.

Good luck on your hunting!

Congrats. Nice buck. Looks almost exactly like my first BP taken deer in early 1970's with my kit build TC .50 cap buster on Little North Mountain in VA.

That is a nice deer! Thanks for sharing your story. I like the large bore rifles. I mostly hunt with .54 and .58 but have been thinking bout building a .62.

excess650 said:
another photo

I like that he's holding his demise. I have one STILL holding my rifle all these many years

She posed with this smoothbore.

A buck like that one you dropped don't come along every day, that's for sure. They don't grow on trees. I'm impressed!

Huntin_Dawg1215 said:
Very nice deer, and a very nice rifle. What county in Virgina did that one come from.

Patrick County, between Stuart, Va and Mount Airy, NC.

Back