• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Virginia Stocked Rifle Using English Fowling Gun Parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jas.

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I built this with a back story of a Virginia stocked rifle using parts from an old English fowling piece that had a blown barrel. The premise is that the old stock was copied to make the rifle.
Although the Mike Rowe lock (which is a dead ringer for a lock from a 1750's James Barbar duck gun) is a bit fancy for a rifle utilizing surplus parts, it was my best choice for an off the shelf left handed round face lock. The .60 caliber barrel is an Ed Rayl, The butt plate and trigger guard are my altered versions of castings from originals by Reeves. I made the sights (rear sight is wrought iron), side plate, trigger and plate, etc.

I think the lock is beautiful and looks great . . .other parts on the fowler are engraved, it doesn't look out of place at all . . beautiful rifle.

Thank you. This is my third build. I have locks, stock blanks and barrels for about 10 more and I hope I can get to them all before I leave this world.

James,

Very interesting way you used fowler and rifle parts together. Did you happen to draw influence from English Sporting Rifles of the period?

Just curious. Is that a single set trigger or a plain trigger? Nothing wrong with a good single trigger with a good trigger pull.

Gus

Artificer said:
James,

Very interesting way you used fowler and rifle parts together. Did you happen to draw influence from English Sporting Rifles of the period?

Just curious. Is that a single set trigger or a plain trigger? Nothing wrong with a good single trigger with a good trigger pull.

Gus
Gus, I actually did not pull from any rifles of the period. I made it as if using all the parts from the left handed birding piece (including the simple trigger and plate) except the blown barrel and of course a new stock supposedly copied in style from the old one. I made the comb a bit more parallel than most for the ease of actual use of this rifle with heavy loads. It should take the recoil more back than up. This feature can be found on some later English big bore rifles.

Capt. Jas. said:
Artificer said:
James,

Gus
Gus, I actually did not pull from any rifles of the period. I made it as if using all the parts from the left handed birding piece (including the simple trigger and plate) except the blown barrel and of course a new stock supposedly copied in style from the old one. I made the comb a bit more parallel than most for the ease of actual use of this rifle with heavy loads. It should take the recoil more back than up. This feature can be found on some later English big bore rifles.

That was an EXCELLENT Idea, thanks for sharing.

Gus

Your third build? I have built about thirty. None of which come close to your quality. I can't wait to see your next one. Keep up the good work. The world doesn't have enough beautiful guns.

Back