• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker Revolver in the Civil War?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is also possible that some of the revolvers claimed as lost or destroyed were actually "liberated" for personal use. This has sometimes happened with military arms. The fact that a number of Walkers still survive shows that some could very well have seen unauthorized service in the Civil War. They certainly were still around in that time period.

You can't compare a wadcutter seated in a brass cartridge to a conical seated one by one in a C&B revolver's chambers. Not even remotely the same thing. If a backwards loaded conial hangs for just a fraction of a second on a slightly misaligned barrel-chamber junction you would get a pressure spike. Given the spotty quality of the material used, it is quite possible to blow a chamber. Another possibility is a barrel obstruction. This could certainly explain some of the split barrels, too.

The Walker is bigger than the .44 Magnum and heavier too, no matter how you load it. The barrel isn't threaded into the frame--it is held in place by the barrel wedge.

Colt himself was left handed according to an article from Gun Digest from 20 or more yrs ago that I was reading again a month or so ago. Author stated that also explained why thw loading cut out for caps seems to be on the wrong side for right handers,as it requires changing the revolver from hand to hand

On my Colts the capping relief is on the righthand side of the revolvers. I hold the revolver in my left hand and the capper in my right. It's a simple operation to cap with my right hand while rotating the cylinder with my left. I don't have to switch hands at all. You have to be careful with these older articles about muzzleloaders. A lot of them perpetuate old misconceptions like developing a proper load by pouring powder over a ball held in the palm of your hand until the ball is covered and blowing down the barrel between shots to soften fouling.

The N-SSA has approved this revolver for compitition. Though they have some early approvals based on what was available to the public in the 1950s and early years of the start-up of the orginization my feeling on the Walker was it was a revolver already in use by the United States Dragoons when the war started. With money tight the government did not give up any firearm easily. Halls were being taken out of service at the time only to be resold back to the government at the begining of the war.

Bruce

Your right about the weight and yes it is held in place by a wedge instead of a threaded barrel into the frame,but what I was refering to was that he changed the direction of the rifling for some unknown reason,why I never heard any real good reason unless it was because he was left handed as you say, wonder if he had left hand threads for the machine screws,just kidding.As to whether it was more powerful than present day 44mag,who knows for sure since we don't have the black powder they used back then and as stated on a earlier post the cylinders would have been a thing as to whether it could or could not meet those pressures of a 44mag.I'm sure there were some that could but I'm also sure that there were many that couldn't so everyone make there own judgement.I don't think they had all the testing equipment that we have today to support what it can or cannot do and yes reproduction weapons of the Walker today probally will not have any issues.Yes I got me a Walker (reproduction) from Replica Arms Co.in Marietta,Ohio that I bought new and it's one of the better ones out of there.Have a good day White Cloud :surrender:

Last edited by a moderator:
PaulTheWall said:
For the Texas Rangers, and Civil War cavalry, was it common practice to keep a holster on the horse?
If yes, they could have kept the Walker on the horse and carried a lighter weapon on their person. I know that Mosby's Raiders liked to carry several cap and ball revolvers on raids.

Just a thought...

In fact the Walker and Dragoons were originally intended for carrying in a saddle holster, two to a soldier. Sam Colt named them the "Horse Pistols"; the Walker and Dragoon names came later.

In fact the Walker and Dragoons were originally intended for carrying in a saddle holster, two to a soldier. Sam Colt named them the "Horse Pistols"; the Walker and Dragoon names came later.

That's what I thought. Again, I'd love to read first-hand accounts of how the Walker performed in combat.

W.W. Blackford, a Confederate cavalryman who fought with JEB Stuart, wrote this on his combat experience at the Battle of 1st Bull Run:

"I leaned down in the saddle, rammed the muzzle of my carbine into the stomach of my man and pulled the trigger. I could not help feeling a little sorry for the fellow as he lifted his handsome face to mine while he tried to get his bayonet up to meet me; but he was too slow, for the carbine blew a hole as big as my arm clear through him."

I imagine a Walker would have a similar, if not more destructive, effect!

Anyone who might wish to read the article about Colt being left handed-see 1987 Gun Digest,pp216-17. Article by very well known Ken Liggett and his info came from Larry Wilsom, who wrote "The Book of Colt Firearms". Article mentioned someone who had mfd. single actions and put the loading gate on the left side to suit his needs as he felt it more logical for him as he was right handed. Thought someone might like to know but it does not seem that big a deal to me. Regards

If "Larry Wilsom" is actually R. L. "Larry" Wilson, he has been known to come up with some questionable information at times. On one memorable occasion it got him sent to jail. But there was a Colt or two modified by gunsmiths with the loading gate on the left side. It allowed loading and reloading without taking the right hand out of the firing position. No one seemed to care and few were made. In a hundred years they will likely be listed as rare factory prototypes and sold for small fortunes.

I would suspect that Walkers were pressed into service during the war, probably more likely in the South. I don't think it was Wilson's information that got him jail time, I think it was the problem of selling someone else's gun and than not giving them the money that was the problem. I heard the other legal issues concerning his appraising activities were basically thrown out of court. I've always enjoyed Wilson's books in any event.

Mr. Wilson used his reputation for providing accurate historical information to defraud a gentleman out of a lot of money. One way or another he went to jail for it. He squandered his reputation trying to make a fast buck and now some are saying that some of the information in his books is wrong and that some of the guns in the photos are fakes. Time will tell.

When it gets a little warmer here in Joisey, I'm going to be doing a Josey Wales demo with my 3RD Model Dragoon in my left (weak) hand and my Walker in my right (strong) hand. I'll have an old target frame set up at five yards or less, with an old cotton shirt over the frame. The Dragoon gets 45 grains of 3Fg Goex and the Walker will be stuffed with 55 grains. I'll put a little rubber band around the Walker loading lever.

Then I'll draw from two holsters at the same time and "light-up" the BAD BOY with 10 rounds. I'm hoping to start the target frame on FIRE! :haha:

Ya, I know, I have a need for attention :rotf: . I just want to prove what I've heard about starting clothing on fire at close range :haha:

Dave

If you do a bit of research I think you'll find that he spent time in jail for the sale of a Colt Paterson that wasn't his and never coughed up the money to the owner. The other matter resulted in no jail time and was basically ruled a farce by judge and jury alike. I still like the guy's books.

Latest posts

Back