• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wally world Ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know it's been referenced ad-nauseum, but is all the blue-stripe pillow ticking .018 (ish)

My problems are twofold; 1, I don't own a micrometer & 2, I couldn't read one if I had one!

Today I bought #40 cotton drill without a micrometer because people say it works. I tried a few shots with it and whadayaknow IT WORKS! so dont be as focused with the width if you can get a small piece and shoot it and if it shoots good then buy some more. If it doesnt shoot good then try another brand!

Its hard to say. I've found the red to be about .018 after washing, the weave shrinks and mics thicker after washing. The blue seems to come in 2 sizes, possibly one .018 and I got one that ended up about .024 after washing.All from wally world.

i agree that the red and the blue seem to be 2 different sizes, but I can't recall which is thicker than the other. They also have a really thin denim that works great and is about all I shoot now.

Wally World here no longer has the fabric section they had, was lucky to find 2 yd pre cut packs of flannel for cleaning patches, pillow ticking no more.
Gonna miss it , fabric & sewing not even in the yellow pages here.

Rob, I do own a pair of digital calipers, but in 30 some years of muzzleloading, I've yet to take any measuring device into a fabric store.

When I am considering an unknown peice of cloth, I first check the label for 100% cotton. Then I get a good feel for it by rubbing it between my fingers, which gives be a good idea how thick it is compared to other material that's worked for me in the past. Now I put on my glasses and study the weave to see how tight it is. Then I put it up to my lips and try to blow through it. If it passes all these tests, I'll buy a yard and try it out. I really don't care what it's thickness measures, just how well it shoots.The first time I measured patch thickness was a couple of months ago when I was responding to a poster here.

The blue striped Walmart material has always worked well for me and it seems pretty consistant as for as I can tell. Like the Young Gunner suggested, just buy a yard and try it out. If you don't like it, now you have something to compare to for your next material test, and you're only out maybe 3 or 4 bucks. Bill

You can buy a digital electronic caliper/micrometer at Harbor Freight for @ $20. that a first grader could read. It's almost worth the $20. just to see the old ladies looking at you funny while you measure fabric at the store. :haha:

YOu can buy dial calipers for less than $30.00 from several suppliers. Micrometers cost 4 times as much, and more, unless you haunt pawn shops, antique shops, and flea markets. It does not require a college degree to learn to read a micrometer, or caliper.

If money is that tight, ask around among friends and coworkers. Someone will have a micrometer, or caliper, and will either do the measuring for you, or show you how to "read" the tool, and use it correctly. I was under 10 years of age when my father first showed me how to use a micrometer, BTW. Dial Calipers have a large "DIAL" on them, with a needled that spins around as the caliper is opened and closed. There is a scale on the shaft of the caliper that is easily read.

If you don't have friends close by, stop by any machine shop and they will be happy to help you with a measurement. Many Auto repair shops also have micrometers and/or calipers on site.

My problems are twofold; 1, I don't own a micrometer & 2, I couldn't read one if I had one!

Was going to say if you have one to just leave it in the box. :)

Micing patch material seems to have become more and more an article of faith within the muzzle loading religion, but for myself if I measure any it's only out of curiosity.

Just get your self some various patch materials and two different ball sizes and head to the range. Shoot all the possible combos about three times or more with heavy charges and examine the spent patches. Use the combo that has the best looking fired patch. Measure it if you like, but buying some other type of patch material just because it matches that measurement will not always yield the same results.

#40 drill is thinner than some of the other materials I have on hand just by the feel of it. But, it holds up better than some of the thicker stuff. Thread count and plain old toughness is important right along with thickness.

Shooting these guns is not much changed in many centurys long before rockets were common so there is not much point in introducing rocket surgery to it now.

The reason for measurement isn't to find the material that works best in your gun, it's to be able to duplicate that material after you find the right one. After you know that .013 (or whatever) works best
you may have a time finding .013 again without the mike. A snug .013 can be heck to get down the barrel with .015.
Deadeye

I bought some # 40 pocket drill yesterday and it shot tighter groups than my .18 pillow ticking.Haven't measured the drill yet,just took it on faith because alot of folks seemed to like it.Shot about 30 shoots without wiping, easy to load from first shot to #30.

Latest posts

Back