• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

want to buy a matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a matchlock..
It has to be American made.
I don't really care too much about the time period.
They were used for SO LONG :bow: Late 17th to early 18th century would be fine.
Does anyone know a reputable builder??
Regards
Mike

:v Here's a guy just meant for you--he's honest, makes a beautiful gun, doesn't take a century, has great prices---the one, the only------- John Buck

Oldarmy:

I second Ezekial's recommendation. I own three of John Buck's arms with three more on order. He will make the Matchlock exactly to your specification. As plain or fancy as you like with your choice of caliber.

Plus he is a super nice guy to talk to as well.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I ordered just a basic model.
Walnut stocked 20 gauge.. 30 years/ECW Model with a sear bar.
Very pleasant to talk to.
Quoted me a decent price and 6 month give or take delivery.
Said he could have it ready for hunting season.
Maybe after killing my first deer with my own handmade flinter. I will take my next with this matchlock :hmm:

Oldarmy:

I ordered just a basic model.
Walnut stocked 20 gauge.. 30 years/ECW Model with a sear bar.
Very pleasant to talk to.
Quoted me a decent price and 6 month give or take delivery.
Said he could have it ready for hunting season.
Maybe after killing my first deer with my own handmade flinter. I will take my next with this matchlock :hmm:

Very nice! Are you going to make your own slowmatch?

I like the sear bar trigger myself. A lot more fine control on bringing the match down to the powder.

Good luck!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Yeah, Hey, Oldarmy,
I am most interested in how you like the gonne, and whether you will make your own slowmatch. Sounds exciting.
volatpluvia

heck yea, I am going to make my own slow match.
Have 20 lbs of potassium nitrate and 100 feet of 100% 1/2" cotton rope.
Built a match lock awhile ago and while it functions fine. It looks like...well..not good.
Think I will buy this one and then will have a "working model"..To re-build the one I have.
It's the stock shape that threw me. :surrender:

Bout a year ago I was quoted $770, and I am sure prices have gone up due to the economy

JohnnyO:

Bout a year ago I was quoted $770, and I am sure prices have gone up due to the economy

Probably, but the quality of his workmanship is worth the wait for that price IMO.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

John quoted me $799 plus shipping.
I put about half down and the balance due when "he puts the last coats of BLO ON IT" :thumbsup:
It's a very fair price.
He told me to expect it late summer early fall.

I talked to him last week. He told me the same price, but he said he'd knock off a few dollars because he's had my book so long (I sent him a book to borrow about a year ago that he wanted some info from). I thought it was pretty funny when he said that. :grin: He's a nice guy.

He also told me sometime in the fall. I haven't placed my order yet, I'm still trying to decide on the caliber/gauge. I want it big, but I'm not sure how big. Maybe between .72-1.00.

i have a .75 cal with a 36"bbl and it rocks :thumbsup:
100_3206-1.jpg

Jumpshot:

He also told me sometime in the fall. I haven't placed my order yet, I'm still trying to decide on the caliber/gauge. I want it big, but I'm not sure how big. Maybe between .72-1.00.

He is building me a late 16th Century, 8 bore Matchlock Musket based from an original Suhl Musket that he owns. That ought to be a fun one!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

8 bore... that's around .835 caliber, isn't it? That's a ball of about 875 grains.

He told me he's built them up to 2.00 before, but I'm not sure if I want something that will dislocate my shoulder. I'm not even sure how much a ball that big would weigh.

After I saw his web site, now I really have to have one. Nothing to fancy just a basic Matchlock. Left him a message this morning (couldn't wait for day break, like a kid waiting for Christmas Morning) Thanks for the info

willisburg

Jumpshot:

8 bore... that's around .835 caliber, isn't it? That's a ball of about 875 grains.

Yep, that's about right. Lucky for me, the German Muskets had a transition from the sear bar trigger to the later type during the 1570's. The original one has a sear bar trigger which is my personal preference. So Brünhilda will have one as well.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

A 2" lead ball will weigh in at 1.712 lbs. Not exactly what I would want in a shoulder fired gun.

Back