• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanting to buy muzzleloading kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there's Jim Chambers kits, kits by T.V.M., Tip Curtis has a LOT of different kinds of them. Track of the Wolf has some, Peticonia (sp?)River is another. The one thing thing I've heard about Kits is DO NOT have the lock inletted sometimes this causes problems in lining up the touchhole. It all depends on which kind of rifle or smoothbore you want.

Unless you are buying import stuff then the "kits" really aren't "kits". They require more than a basic set of tools and some skill in metal and wood work to complete....and much research and practice to do right.

What are you after in a "kit"? Enjoy, J.D.

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply is a good company to deal with and they offer over a dozen different long rifles and pistols.

PECATONICA RIVER LONG RIFLE

I've built a number of the "kits" sold by them and they have turned out very nice.

As jdkerstetter mentioned, these are not the easy to put together, sand, put on a finish "kits" offered by the major gun producers.
Rather, they consist of a roughed out stock and a number of semi-finished parts and raw castings.
Knowledge of filing, drilling, tapping and finishing is required to make a nice gun.

All of the places that have been mentioned by others on The Forum are good places to buy a "kit". If you have no experience building a kit, you will need some woodworking experience and some metal working experience and a good deal of patience. These "kits" are not just sand, varnish and drop together type kits. They all require some careful final fitting of wood to metal, some careful final shaping of the stock, some final polishing of the metal and browing or bluing of the metal. Usually, the lock is finished and ready to install but make sure before ordering your kit. Also, you will probably want a stock that is 98% inletted. depending on the kit, you may need to have a drill press to very accurately drill bolt holes. With all of these skills and tools you will have to add a very good bit of care and patience or you can very easily turn $800 to $1,000 worth of parts into a $200 rifle. Expect to spend many evenings over a couple months to assemble any of the "kits" mentioned. If you are a "slap-dab, that's good enough" type of person, forget kits and just buy a finished rifle that is ready to go. Otherwise, you will end up with a rifle that will make a poor fence post.

hadden west said:
Does Tip Curtis ever have Hawken rifles in the white?

I can't say for sure but he offers alot of guns in the white. Just give him a call & ask. :thumbsup:

I know that he sells rifles in the white, because I have one. I just wasn't sure if he ever did a Hawken.

Maybe I'll get around to calling him.

Thanks

Back