• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Watch your step

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we all have our standards for dealing with snakes. Mine is to kill ALL Rattlers,cottonmouths and copperheads I can. It just lowers the odds of me or one of my grandchildren steping on one and getting bit. The way I see it there are enough chicken snakes,black snakes ect to keep the rats thined out.
Just the way I see it.

Wayne/Al

I take no issue with anyone who chooses to side-step poisonous snakes and let them live.

Speaking for myself, I only see poisonous snakes in places that I frequent for hunting...including trips scouting, building blinds, putting up stands, and hunting trips themselves.
That means I'm repeatedly going back in to places where I've seen poisonous snakes...and to me, intentionally letting one live is like seeing a land mine and not diffusing it, then accidentally stepping on it next time I'm in there.

I don't bother any non-poisonous snakes like black snakes, green snakes, garden snakes, etc, etc...but if I see a poisonous snake in the places I frequent, I will kill it.
And in case that sounds like I kill a lot of poisonous snakes, I've only killed two in over a half a century.

Over here in Aus. all snakes are protected :cursing: ,so I just stun them and release them back into the wild :thumbsup:

Mike Brines said:
I heard this tic, tic, tic, and I thought it was those cicadas, they were everywhere that fall. It would stop when I stopped, and begin again as I moved. Finally I looked over, and there was a prairie rattler

Dang if I didn't do the same prepping an elk camp on a hot september afternoon in Colorado.

My wife asked if I heard a snake (twice) before I stopped listening past the bug & listened TO the bug, that was a 2 foot rattler about one good step away from me. :doh:

Was scouting in the Gila National Forest in New Mexico for elk. Stopped to rest at this old blow down, the tree was snapped off at the base but still attached, kinda opened like a pez dispenser. As I was reaching for my canteen, I put my foot up on the log and took a big drink....when I brought my eyes back down I noticed a big rattler slithering down the log about a foot away at this time...he continued down the log went partially over the toe of my boot and kept going...I never moved and luckily my brother behind me didn't either, when he had passed by I moved plenty, and probably not in the most of manly of ways, but I did put some distance between us in olympic speed fashion...

my 14year old grandson is recovering from a copperhead bite..he and a buddy were wading in a local stream, and he thought he'd kicked a rock, and complained of a sore big toe for a couple of days..it swelled, and he developed a 104 degree fever..his mother rushed him to the emergency ward,and an xray showed no bone break (what was suspected) but luckily there was a pediatric bone guy there and he had an MRI done, and he saw the puncture holes in the toe..guessed it was a copperhead from their commonality here, and that was the anti venom used..he's Ok now..I'm glad you missed that ugly bugger .Hank

Back