• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waterproofing/leaving the gun loaded.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
At the end of last season I hunted for a week or so in bad weather, rain/snow/sleet.

The barrel was spotlessly clean/dry before loading with a coat of NL to prevent rust. I loaded up with goex. CCI cap, overpowder wad, 1000 NL patch/PRB (.0530 hornaday). The nipple had been seated with neverseal and the cap/nipple waxed with hot wax after capping. After seating the load (BEFORE capping)I recoated the barrel with NL on top of the load. The end of barrel then sealed with duct tape on the end.

No deer end of last year. :(

Here in mASSachusetts they have regs against loaded "firearms", in your own home. So I left the 54 loaded/capped as "primitives" are exempt. I've had no children in the house and anyone who enters knows not to touch the guns. Anyway left the 54 loaded for critters/cretiens. Didn't have to use it.

Was going to pull the ball before going out today, again in the rain.

But I said what the hell, this is a good test. Rained all day, light but steady. Got a shot at 60 paces, right through the rear edge of the leading shoulder, both lungs, and the ribs on the other side. :thumbsup:

Anyway, no need for fancy inlines for reliability. The old stuff works great if you take care of it. :hatsoff:

P.S. No signs of rust in barrel either :)

Sorry, at this time of year I'd assume most here would think a nice bit of venison.

I just checked out my last teaching laboratory yesterday, I'm free besides grading papers till well into January. First day out except with my bow. No luck with shooting shafts but did not put much time into it.

Um, 54 on a squirrel? Practice for head shots?

So yes, nice deer, old load, piled up within sight :thumbsup:

Just discharged my flinter coming in last night for the first time in three weeks. I loaded her the morning of 11/17, hunted that day and the 18th, 29th, 30th, December 6th and 7th. In between she was in my unheated garage deprimed and with a thorn-apple thorn in the vent. Three of those days I had my waxed cow's knee over the lock as it was snowing. Yesterday was a flat out blizzard and 14º when I started out, 18º whan I came back in at twighlight. Brrrrr. Had three good 20 to 50 yard shots presented at doe, but natually I'd used my doe tag on 12/16. Ain't that the way.

She went off with only a heartbeat of hesitation (usually she has no noticable hesitation) but smacked my 50 yard target about 1" high and 2" left of center. Not bad (I was walking past and fired offhand at the snow-covered 12" square board I use for my .45 ACP.)

Mad Professor said:
Anyway, no need for fancy inlines for reliability. The old stuff works great if you take care of it. :hatsoff:

Mad Professor
You can say that again. After a 3 day weekend deer hunt here in Minnesota, with 7 below weather,snow and all the other elements. The 58cal shot just fine this evening. I normally blow the charge out with the air compressor but thought this was a good test. I just keep the rifle out side and never have had a problem. YET

I have one more weekend to hunt here.

Back