• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waxing your stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read post about waxing the stock. I was wondering what wax is used, and if it is ok to wax over another finish. I build a Chambers kit Pennslvania Fowler, I used a stain sold by James Klein it is an alchohol based stain and then put Chamber stock finish on it. Would it be ok to wax over this finish?

I used Johnson's hardwood floor wax paste many times...

pACE2-1190483reg.jpg

Works great...

As Mooskeetman says, Johnson wax is good.

I've used Miguires Gold car wax on several Guitars and it works well there so I see no reason it wouldn't work on a gunstock.
If you get an Automotive Wax, make sure it is for Clear Coat finishes.
Many of the Car waxes that are made for polishing out sun faded paint have abrasives in them that will distroy the guns finish.

Flitz makes a wax specifically for firearms that is carnauba and beeswax sans polishing agents. Several museums use this on historical firearms (on both the wood and metal) for long-term preservation. I use it on all my guns and it works great. :m2c:

Wax can be used as a finish or over a finish. The advantage of it is that it is real easy to "repair." If it blemishes just put more on and dissolves what was there. Of course, it doesn't protect like a very hard resin. I run a unfinished furniture store and we sell a wax called Briwax, which comes in about 6-7 colors as well as clear. some folks like the colored waxes to make things look old. Briwax has some nasty stuff in it (toululene) but they have also made it with some safer solvents. a company called Mylands sells a comparable toululene free wax. We also sell a wax called Boston Polish and a few made by Minwax. Most of these are all mixtures of carnuba, beeswax, etc. The pigments can inhance your finish. You can find recipes for your own wax mixture as beeswax and carnuba are available and dissolve in ...turpentine or mineral spirits...I think. Woodcraft (retail woodworking catalog) sells carnuba and beeswax.

I've been using Johnson's wax for years on gunstocks works great. Works well as a release agent if you have to epoxy bed something or other too. Just dont buff the wax off after it dries when using it as a release agent.

I have always had trouble with this aspect of gun care. When I used to wax my stocks I found the waxy surface of the wood caused the rifle to slip in my grip. I now only wax a stock when I have a gun I want to sell or trade. Sometimes I will wax the metal if storing the gun for a long time and put a film of grease on top. maybe I was useing the wrong wax for stocks.

I use Minn-Wax furniture finish wax and have great results.It really sealed up my Lyman GPR stock and left it with a nice sheen not shine.The price cant be beat i bought a pound can at a local big name hardware store and i think it set me back 6 bucks.

Back