• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge keys...Lyman vs. T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I lost the rear wedge key out of my GPR today :)cursing:) I just looked on Track's site to order a new one noticed that the T/C keys are half the price!

Does anyone have one of each to compare? I'm thinking that the T/C Keys are a lot bigger, but could easily be made to fit the Lyman.

I hate having to spend $10 on something so simple.

Ask them if it is the same size. They will tell you. If you know the size of the one you lost, ask if the T/C is the same size.

Hey, you're a knife maker, those keys are really easy to make if you have a little skill. Find some mild steel flat stock that fits the width of the escutcheons. Cut and file a blank, about 3/4" longer than the width of the forearm. Lock the blank in a vice with about 1/4" sticking up past the jaws, and pound out a "head" with a ball peen hammer. Lots of little taps until it starts looking right. File and shape the head, finish filing the rest of the key if needed to fit properly. Don't force the key in with a hammer, just keeping trying it with light taps from a piece of wood, or something similar. Even if it feels a little too tight at first, remember it will loosen over repeated installations. Cut off and finish the long end to fit the width of the wood.

I always need to put a spacer under the wedge when it's in the vice, to keep it from being driven down as it gets peened.

Even if if the original keys are brass, make two steel keys so they match. Easy stuff, I think you might enjoy making them. :thumbsup: Bill

Bugger.... :doh: I feel stoopid now.

Well, that's tomorrow morning taken care of, thanks Bill! :hatsoff:

robtattoo said:
Bugger.... :doh: I feel stoopid now.

Well, that's tomorrow morning taken care of, thanks Bill! :hatsoff:

Don't worry. We will only laugh behind yer back. :wink:
For me, a big part of the fun of this game is doin' fer yerself. BTW, I'm a scrounger. I have a bunch of brass pieces on the shelf and would have grabbed some of that and pounded out a new key without giving it a second thought. Good luck.

To answer your question, my T/C hawkens wedge is longer and thicker than that of GPR.Not so much the length bothers me as much as the thickness..I tried to put my wedge in my GPR from my hawkens and it made my lug stretch a bit. When I re-inserted my GPR wedge it fell out. So I had to tap my underlug back into shape. My GPR is a steel wedge and the Hawken is brass..or at least appears to be. With very little effort you could make the Hawkens wedge fit, but it wouldn't match the other wedge on your GPR. Not sure what kind of substrate T/C offers for thier wedges. Just my experience with a Hawkens and a GPR wedge comparison. :idunno:

I don't have my guns right here in front of me and I have never tried to exchange them but I don't think they are interchangeable.

Thanks for all y'all's help!

I fabricated a new one myself in about 15 minutes this morning.

Happily, another thing I'll never have to buy again. Now, if could just learn to knap flint.....

I bought a GPR that had loose keys. I replaced them with TC keys which snugged up the fit and solved the problem.

Sooo I think the TC are slightly thicker. They can be trimmed to length if necessary.

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the advice to make your own wedge. I lost mine yesterday and remembered reading this post, so I made my own. They really aren't that hard to make using a file and hack saw. Thanks
:bow:

Back