• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wedge pin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok i am kinda new here, just been doing a lot of reading but i do have a question. I bought a thompson renegede hunter new in 98 and only this last october shot it.I noticed that the wedge pin was a little loose and so i pulled it out and tried putting it in from the other direction which tightened it up. I guess what i would like to know is there a right or wrong way direction to install wedge?

thanks y'all

Mark

There are a few here that will belittle folks, I just give it back and chuckle. Mostly I'm pretty sure the have little man syndrome. A BUNCH of great guys though!

Some models some manufactures do say one way or the other.
But in reality it is just a flat bar usually the same dimensions the entire length.
sometimes you may have to put a slight bend in it to have it wedge tight.

You may be wise to order an extra wedge as a spare.
Nothing ruins the hunt worse than one rifle, and a lost wedge!

I had a bp shop for a few years. Retired now, but still stock and sell most all accessories.
I try to price below the online big boys, but can't always.
However my products are brand name.
I do have some Thompson Center wedges.
If in the future you should decide you want or need one, just ask.
I also have almost every accessory that could ever be needed or wanted.
Have fun shooting your rifle. FUN that's what it is all about!!

Now that's your settled in and a regular poster,,

I do have a preferred way.
I'm right handed and I like to put mine in from right to left.
When I shoulder the gun I have my left hand forward of course and my fingers drift across that wedge,, I can feel if the head of the wedge is fully seated,,
Just a habit I guess, nothing is carved in stone.

vince-m said:
thanks, I always hate posting on some sites as some give you a hard time about not knowing things like this. Again thank you......

Pretty good bunch here. Been doing bp for 30 years and learn something almost monthly on this site.

Welcome

Probably the most fun part of BP rifles and firearms in general, is the opportunity to make minor or even major changes to your shooter.

There are ways to tighten the key fit in staples or the cast underlugs, and often a couple taps on the lug will net an increase in tension.

The other route is to buy a thicker key, and stone it to fit. Some are very hard, and may require some heat to anneal, and re-hardening.

And losing a key on a single key rifle, is a pain.

I have installed capture pins on all of my rifles, they never wander off on my bench, they never fall out. They are very easy to install.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/964/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Back