• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weight of Military heritage fusil & northwest trade guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello friends! I am really interested in purchasing either a fusil de chasse or northwest trade gun (ordinary or chief's version) from military heritage. I know that these aren't the best quality, however, it is probably all that I can afford over the next little while unfortunately.

curious if any folks here own either? And if so, can you give a measurement of its weight?

I do know that people here have said the Indian made guns tend to be chunkier than the more elegant custom built ones. As I am looking for a lightweight fusil or NW trade gun from MH and I don't yet have the skill to do woodwork (just started dabbling in this hobby), I wanted to get an idea of how much weightier the MH pieces actually are?

Thanks a ton! :)

a new member of my reinactment group was loaned an Indian made trade gun, it was heavier than a pedersoli 1763 musket which weighs around 11lbs. Ironically it was around 7” shorter too. Reason for the weight was the barrel was a .58 caliber straight tube with no taper at all, full round, muzzle was just as thick as the breech. I actually felt like i was holding an Olympic barbell.

A real trade is very light, french fusil, English trade gun or HUD trade gun.

Hello friends! I am really interested in purchasing either a fusil de chasse or northwest trade gun (ordinary or chief's version) from military heritage. I know that these aren't the best quality, however, it is probably all that I can afford over the next little while unfortunately.

curious if any folks here own either? And if so, can you give a measurement of its weight?

I do know that people here have said the Indian made guns tend to be chunkier than the more elegant custom built ones. As I am looking for a lightweight fusil or NW trade gun from MH and I don't yet have the skill to do woodwork (just started dabbling in this hobby), I wanted to get an idea of how much weightier the MH pieces actually are?

I purchased a Military Heritage 1795 Springfield a couple of years ago, after I just finished building a Kibler smr. Being a full size Military musket, it's weight was 10lbs. I was very fortunate in my purchase, the fit and finish was outstanding for this gun. However I did go about tweaking it on my own, along with a refinish of the stock and antiquing all the metal, including the barrel. I just recently received a very nice compliment on this gun, about how good it looks for a $600.00 gun. I am toying with the Idea of thinning down the stock a little, but I have not decided yet.

Yep ... I go through a lot of trouble to get the barrels as close to the originals as possible . I dont know of any barrel maker that makes an authentic style barrel so Ive collected measurements of original barrels over the years and have had Ken turn down barrels to my dimensions and then I have to grind and file the flats on to the barrel . No step down at the transition like modern reproductions have . Then I stamp them hand apply the rings . This is to try and make the gun as close to the original guns as possible of course not to appease folks with a light gun . This is as close to the originals as I can make em ...

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_131353.jpg
    IMG_20231215_131353.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230220_115427.jpg
    IMG_20230220_115427.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230625_191214.jpg
    IMG_20230625_191214.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231215_131348.jpg
    IMG_20231215_131348.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230625_152354.jpg
    IMG_20230625_152354.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I have an original trade gun barrel, it’s almost under 3.25 Lbs at 42” very very light.
You have an original trade gun barrel !?!?! WOW !! I'd love to study that thing for a couple hours !! So cool !! Any chance of getting pictures !!?! Measurements of it ?;?!?! :O

Yep ... I go through a lot of trouble to get the barrels as close to the originals as possible . I dont know of any barrel maker that makes an authentic style barrel so Ive collected measurements of original barrels over the years and have had Ken turn down barrels to my dimensions and then I have to grind and file the flats on to the barrel . No step down at the transition like modern reproductions have . Then I stamp them hand apply the rings . This is to try and make the gun as close to the original guns as possible of course not to appease folks with a light gun . This is as close to the originals as I can make em ...
Rice type G.

I will be deciding which of those 2 to buy also from military heritage. I have already had experience with a 1731 Prussian pistol from them and rather than just drill the touch hole, I added a liner. I did other work such as epoxy bed the breech and barrel as it looked like a mini chainsaw was used in those areas. I also had to adjust the sear spring and the frizzen spring which was way too stiff. However, considering the price, I now have a fine pistol.
I expect similar details will need to be done to the others but, again, price point.

Some years ago I had a chance to take some pictures of a fusil that Wallace Gusler had with him at a presentation. I took some pictures but I was mainly interested in the carving behind the barrel tang. I wish I had taken more pics of the whole gun, although the forestock was heavily damaged and the bayonet was rusted solid to the barrel..

Latest posts

Back