• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Went shooting this evening.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all,did a little shooting today with a capper. It was a Bedford .45 scratch built by a good friend of mine. This guy has this longrifle thing figured out. He is in fact a dierect decendant of the Lancaster/Bedford Defibaugh family. Known for their Tavern and rifles. Anywho, he wants me to get involved in the Jefferson Co. Longrifle club, and took me to the club range for a try out.After a couple shots on paper, we went for a walk through the trail and popped a few steel targets and a playing card. The target on the left was offhand at 25 yards. First shot with this rifle for me, and I was tickled with the outcome! The target on the right was shot at the 50yd backstop. I couldn't see any hole with my naked eye, so I was pleased to walk up and see where it landed too! I had a tough time giving him back his rifle when it was time to go let me tell you. We came up on a couple playing cards in clothspins on a saw horse along the trail. I never shot at a playing card before and had to try it out. You can imagine my surprise when it parted company with the clip, and was cut cleanly in two. Distance was about 10 yards. I really fell in love with this Bedford of his. I still haven't gotten any pics of the rifles. I left the house this morning without the camera :cursing:! There is a shoot this weekend, so I will have to get some pics then. I will be joining the club also. He hooked me good with this sweetie of a rifle. I hope to have my Leman finished in time for hunting season,or at least the winter rendezvous at the club. Longrifles are cool!
100_0664.jpg

100_0666.jpg

you won't go hungry with that kinda shootin'!

good job! :thumbsup:

That first shot was a tad left, don't you think? I can't imagine why your buddy won't give you a good deal on a rifle that can't do any better than that. :wink:

EXCELLENT shooting there Marshal. :hatsoff:

Hey I know it. I told him that thing was off. A good 1/4" at 25 yards! Serriously,for me shooting off hand, that was fantastic. The thing just laid there nice and still.I never figured I would be as close as I was at 50 off hand either.The guy is squeaky clean too,so I can't even blackmail him for the rifle. Rats! I have had a couple half stock flinters in the past, but never fired a true long rifle. I like em'. I told Jack now I have to call Pecatonica again and order parts for a Bedford. Thanks to him. I guess I better finish the Leman first though.

I hate to burst your bubble, but as soon as you get your very own rifle your shootin will go all to h*ll. That kind of luck only happens to newbies or when using someone else's rifle. Welcome to the sport!

Latest posts

Back