• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western CO berry report??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Wondering what is going on with the scrub oak acorns and berries on the west slope?? :confused:

Have not had a chance to get over there and am wondering what kind of bear feed year we will have.

Too early for berries, isn't it?

For sure. More looking for the prospects for berries, etc. Sometimes extreme freezes late in spring wipe out the crop for the year. Other times it's so dry the crop is kinda small and dessicated.

Just looking for the prospects for this fall.

The prognosis is good.Plenty of moisture this Spring in NW Colorado, rain and snow, and the rain still continuing now that the monsoons are here - morning sun, then afternoon thunder showers. No late frosts, and the Sarvis Berry bushes in my yard and the hills around the house were loaded down with blossoms, and now immature fruits. The same for Choke Cherries. No telling about the higher country yet, still deep snow up there in spots. Went Prairie Dog hunting out west of Maybell 2 weekends ago, and the prairie grass is still green! Kind of unheard of for mid July. Plenty of bears running through town right now looking for garbage, bird feeders, and pet food. Should be plenty of natural forage for them to switch over to shortly.

This is good news. I went scouting last Friday for the bear I hope to take in North Park.No berries yet, but there should be plenty to fatten him up before I get there.

Nice country out there. We spent several nights there recently. Didn't get a chance to get away from civilization, though.

Just the report I was hoping for, and right smack dab in the area I plan to hunt bears. Thanks a bunch. :thumbsup: It's looking good. :)

Preacher man, I'll be spending a long week end up near Chambers lake this coming week end. Probably will get down at least to Gould. I'll keep you in mind and check it out.

Lots of camping going on at Chambers,the fishing should be good from what I hear. Is your bear tag good for North Park? I plan to spend the month of September there if it takes that long to meet up with Mr. Bear. The tag is good for all of North Park, and just choosing what area to hunt can be a problem. The good news is that I trip over bears all over the Park, usually when I don't have a tag for them. Last muzzleloading season, they were scattered from 8000 ft to about 9800. One morning a momma cow that didn't appreciate a bear going after her baby went and chased the bear into my camp. No tag at that time either. I'll see if that cow would be willing to work a drive this year?

Enjoy your weekend.

Triniad had a epic oak season last year, wonder how it will shape up with the drought.
everthing around me is flourshing like never before with all the snow and summer rain, bears are traveling over my deck two or three times a week(they hope one last dumpster but we are not slobs just armed) on their way back to berry pastures, next year I will pull a bear tag and take the time to hunt a high country bear, I glassed a Bruin that was all black and no ears(way big!:shocked2: )this spring when antler hunting.

I have service berries behind the house & behind me on school district property.
A friend with a hunting lease in Oak Creek Canyon
reports heavy frost kills on his lease.
A friend who lives near Stagecoach reports frost kill of blossoms & no berries.
I guess it depends on where you are.

we're dry down in the trinidad area. I live with oak brush surrounding me and havent seen a nut in the past few years. The deer are going crazy in my back yard though! Just went to check the camera around 430pm and had to slowly back out has there was a 4x4 down there drinking and grazing.

I was turkey hunting down there at 8,000 ft and maby it was just the area i was hunting but the oak crop was plentiful.
:hmm:

Just got back from North Park. Had planned on staying near Cameron Pass, but many of the roads up there are closed due to lingering snow pack. Road to Long Draw closed and Green Ridge Trail closed. It's a zoo up there!

We went on down to Gould and headed south east and found a nice place to set up. Sort of zoo like in there too. Many roads closed for snow and logging. Michigan creek running very high. Loads of mosquitos but not that aggressive. A bit of OFF sent them packing.

Saw many moose including some nice bulls. Yearling cow came into camp area and the dog tried to run it off. Moose ran the dog off! :haha: I had to step between them to end the disagreement.

North Park looks like the Garden of Eden! :shocked2: Incredibly green. Have often hit North Park in the first week of July and usually found it dry and browning fast. Not this year. Berries looked like they will be along just fine. Actually found a few ripe currents low in Poudre Canyon on the way up.

I think you will have a good bear year.

My tag is not good in North Park though. Hoping for the best in Unit 5.

Good luck in your quest.

Back