• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western New York Flinters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzborden

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings folks. I live in Buffalo, NY, and I'm getting ready to build/buy my first flint longgun, and before I make any major mistakes, I would like to talk to some people near me who build and/or shoot flint guns. I would like to see/handle a variety of rifles so that I can make a good investment on the kit I choose. Also, I'd like to learn all I can from some experienced shooters in order to shorten the learning curve. Can anyone suggest a good resource near me that may be able to help? Is there a blackpower club in WNY that anyone is aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy Borden

I am in hancock n.y. and hunt the late BP season with my flinters
I would say i would see about buying either a Lyman great plains
I myself favor t/c I have two flinters one in 50 and the other 54 cal.
I think you can't go wrong with either choice but t/c warranty is hard to beat :thumbsup:

Gonz, I'm about sixty miles from Buffalo. I would be glad to help you out if I can. I have about twenty guns on hand. Fowlers, jaegers, rifles, even some lefties, one percussion. No kit guns though. E-mail me if you like.
Robby

gonz,
Check out the New York State Muzzleloaders Association site (www.nysmla.org). Click on the Affiliated Clubs tab and you can find the Alabama Hunt Club. They are a big black powder club in your neck of the woods. They have monthly shoots and a good number of shooters attend so you will get to look at a fair amount of guns.

Hey Gonz, Trapper here, I live just north (30 miles as the crow flies)of ya. I've built guns from the ground up. I'd be glad to help ya out. Gimme a shout. Now I better get back to buildin the Missus flinter

I have been out of WNY many years but second the suggestion about the Alabama hunt club. They were nice folks many years ago and I suspect still are. You might also try the Niagara County Sportsman's Association in Pekin, NY, Off Lower Mountain Rd. There was always a muzzle loading contingent there and some good old fashioned gun builders among them.

Gonz I live in Orchard Park Ny and have built seven rifles and a few pistols,both flint and percussion.I belong to a small gun club and we shoot quite a bit of BP.Some of my friends also build BP guns. You can email me for more informaion if you would like.

Gonz,

I'm on Grand Island. Shoot a Lyman GPR/GPH and another flint gun guys don't like to talk about here... If you are near by, you are more than welcome to check it out. I'm a member at GI Rod & Gun, so there is a place to let a few rounds go down range.

Good luck.

BobW

. dec 7 / 08:45am

i used to live in buffalo, ny, back in the 1970's.. went into a store to get change for the parking meter and when i came out my car was buried under 6' of snow.. decided it wasn't worth the effort of trying to dig it out so, if you see a red vw beetle (probably a little rusted by now) parked near delaware park, you can have it.. :wink:

it's a beautiful part of the country but the winters are too brutal.. and i was born there ! !(allegany county).

sorry this has nothing to do with flinters, but it's nice to know the sport is alive and well even in western new york.

~d~ :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back