• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What’s up with the holes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernbar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just noticed these holes on the backside of the CCI tins I just got from Academy. Aren’t these tins supposed to be airtight?

IMG_9605.jpeg

I don't any of mine have those holes. I'll check the ones I just got from walmart when I get home.

Mine don't have any holes, but they're not 2024 manufacture. I'll go with the lid theory. It makes sense. Those little tins are a booger to open without spilling caps all over the place.

I use these little screw-apart containers to keep a supply of caps in my black powder range kit:
IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

If memory serves they're sold in the pharmacy department as pill containers.

It's for atmospheric pressure changes during shipping from different altitudes. Potato chip bags would explode if you shipped them from Death Valley to Denver from the atmospheric pressure changes. When I flew in the air force, we would depressurize for tactical missions and sometimes the chips in our box lunches would explode.

It's for atmospheric pressure changes during shipping from different altitudes. Potato chip bags would explode if you shipped them from Death Valley to Denver from the atmospheric pressure changes. When I flew in the air force, we would depressurize for tactical missions and sometimes the chips in our box lunches would explode.
Them exploding chips go great with bang bang chicken. 😉

I use defarbed tins a lot (paint burned off), and it’s really disappointing how all the good tins that used to be available for recycling are not usable at all.

How am I to use a CCI tin to hold some grease if it has holes in it?

Can’t use Altoid tins anymore since they started embossing their name into the top.

There was a brand of hard candy I used to get that had a nice round tin about 2 1/2” diameter that was awesome, but they switched to plastic.

AARRRRGGGGG!!!

I called CCI and was told the holes are there to let moisture escape. He said the unvented tins tend to hold moisture. Storing them in a dry cool place is the key to a long shelf life. I also asked about cap production and was told they are making large runs of 10, 11 and magnum caps and are shipped out to stores. They vanish from the store shelves pretty quickly. 🤨

Unfortunately it seems pretty common nowadays for there to be a joke or jokes in the tin containers. It might be some stupid federal environmental regulation for all I know. Or a EU environmental regulation.

To prevent condensation is an interesting excuse. Allowing for air pressure changes is another good excuse for it too.

If the containers are tin you can always solder over the hole(s) closing it up. But don’t solder over the holes with the caps in them though.

I use defarbed tins a lot (paint burned off), and it’s really disappointing how all the good tins that used to be available for recycling are not usable at all.

Can’t use Altoid tins anymore since they started embossing their name into the top.

There was a brand of hard candy I used to get that had a nice round tin about 2 1/2” diameter that was awesome, but they switched to plastic.

AARRRRGGGGG!!!
Here is the new style altoids tin.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0398.jpeg
    IMG_0398.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

AARRRRGGGGG!!!
Shoe polish tins.

Back