• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What’s up with the holes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a chance to check mine. All the tins I bought this year from Walmart have the holes, none from previous years have them.

Unfortunately it seems pretty common nowadays for there to be a joke or jokes in the tin containers. It might be some stupid federal environmental regulation for all I know. Or a EU environmental regulation.

To prevent condensation is an interesting excuse. Allowing for air pressure changes is another good excuse for it too.

If the containers are tin you can always solder over the hole(s) closing it up. But don’t solder over the holes with the caps in them though.
I am thinking they are there to vent gases in case of an inadvertent ignition and prevent the tins from becoming little bombs spraying shrapnel. There are a number of federal agencies, including the DOT that regulate things like smokeless and black powder shipping and storage containers and cans, and they all have to be designed not to hold pressure.

I am sure some little liberal a hole saw a chance to make life harder for gun/ammo manufacturers/owners and recommended a rule for it.

Hmm, interesting, the only thing I can think of is they are there as venting in case of a detonation, cook off. Perhaps a legal thing.

Did they come in a plastic blister pack or a carboard box?

Just noticed these holes on the backside of the CCI tins I just got from Academy. Aren’t these tins supposed to be airtight?

View attachment 337746
Kiwi shoe polish cans usually have a hole in the lids also.
I believe it is to let air into the cans to eliminate creating a vacuum effect when trying to get tight-fitting lids off.
I have encountered lids on percussion cap cans that were so difficult to get off that I had to use knife blades, ice picks, and channel lock pliers to get the lids off. Part of the problem may have been my creating a vacuum when pulling on the lid.

Unfortunately it seems pretty common nowadays for there to be a joke or jokes in the tin containers. It might be some stupid federal environmental regulation for all I know. Or a EU environmental regulation.

To prevent condensation is an interesting excuse. Allowing for air pressure changes is another good excuse for it too.

If the containers are tin you can always solder over the hole(s) closing it up. But don’t solder over the holes with the caps in them though.
Soldering is overkill. If the holes bother you just put a couple of small squares of tape over them.
I have not found high humidity to have any effect on caps even when the lid is left off the can for months and years at a time.

Kiwi shoe polish cans usually have a hole in the lids also.
I believe it is to let air into the cans to eliminate creating a vacuum effect when trying to get tight-fitting lids off.
I have encountered lids on percussion cap cans that were so difficult to get off that I had to use knife blades, ice picks, and channel lock pliers to get the lids off. Part of the problem may have been my creating a vacuum when pulling on the lid.
Atmospheric pressure changes are often the culprit.

Whatever the real reason, the holes have been in cap ‘tins’ for a while now. I purchased some sleeves of RWS 1075 Plus caps in early 2022, and some sleeves of RWS 1081 caps a couple of months ago. The plastic ‘tins’ from both have small holes in them. Could be some part of TWS’ manufacturing process, with the ones in the CCI tins more of a monkey see, monkey do thing, though interestingly, RWS ‘tins’ have only one hole, whole CCI tins that I have from this year have two holes. So maybe two holes are better than one?

But honestly, who cares? I thought the big complaint was the lack of caps, now caps are available and it’s holes in tins…..

Latest posts

Back