• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all!
I am planning to build a sxs smooth bore rifle. The barrels I have mic at .70. They need to be reamed and I thought that .710 might work well. My question is what bore over .700 would be best if I have to buy rb's from a supplier and who would be the best supplier?

If you are planning on using it with just rd balls your idea of .710 should work good with a .690 rd ball. I use them in my side x side .12 ga. with good results. You can get a .690 Lee rd. ball mould from Midsouth Shooters Supply for around $18. A lot cheaper to cast your own than buy them in that size.

I agree it is a lot cheaper to make them. You can get them from Track of the Wolf for $7.50 for 25 balls (unless there has been a price increase since my catalog). The .69 should work good in a .710 bore. My 12 gage smoothbore is .72 and I use the .69 balls.

And the beauty of the smoothbore is you don't really need pure lead for casting. I get five gallon buckets of wheel weights from the local tire shop for 15 bucks.

Although some frown on it, except for hunting, I also use the wheel weight alloy in my rifled guns.

Yep, now all i need to do is find a smoothbore i can afford. Have my name on the waiting list for one of MVTC's fowlers. Also been looking at their Bess. Now all i need to do is start a smoothbore contribution fund. :: Anyone with an old unused smoothbore laying around they want to contribute. :crackup:

Back